summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Sunday, September 22, 2019

...no, I'm not dead...

I am still here, enjoying the last teeny bit of summer, this lovely second summer we're having in central New York state.


For some reason, my pics aren't loading, so I'll just have to do what we tell the little ones to do, use my words.

It was a nice visit from my son Aaron, and Riley, from California. We had lots of time to talk and catch up, and we also went to both Seneca Lake and Cayuga Lake, visited a few wineries. Riley made us his chili verde, and I made beef brisket. They headed back, and it's sad to say goodbye.

So on Saturday morning, I got up bright and early so we could watch little Wulf, so both his mama and papa could go work at the football game stadium, Paul went too. We had Lydia here too, so we decided to do something really fun. Sonja and me, Abigail, cousin Danielle, Charlotte Claire, Camille...and Ashley, Anya, and little Elise. We went to an autumn festival.

Now, this sounded fun on paper. Free parking, free admission! Well. The parking lot was a loooooong way away from the event, so they so nicely offered tractor-pulled wagon rides, for two dollars each. I know, that's not too bad. But when we got over to the festival, oh dear. A pony ride, in a little fenced in circle: $5 each. Face-painting? $5. A turn in the bouncy houses, which were more like MAD houses, you guessed it, five bucks. It was more like a carnival, with fried everything for way too much money, there wasn't anything "fall-ish" about it.

We did find a donut stand, selling a bag of 20 miniature donuts, just out of the fryer, for $6.50, so yeah, we got two. (I didn't have any. I SHOULD be thin, no fair, but that's a whole 'NOTHER story.)

We walked around a little, rather disappointed. But we didn't want the little girls to realize that it was anything but an exciting outing, so we offered them a pony ride! They really loved that, we took lots of pics, then excitedly mentioned going on that fun wagon ride again, back to the vans, then to get ice cream! Yes, they were happy!

It was a very nice day, but we would have been better off just going to a regular apple orchard and picking apples...which we will do, on a cooler, more autumn like day:)

Today, we are going to the beach! It's warm sunny weather here, 85F, 29.4c, this afternoon. Summer is going out with a bang! So yes, we are packing up the beach toys, towels and chairs, and heading to Lake Ontario. I made pasta salad yesterday, and Paul and Jonathan grilled some chicken breast, there is leftover. Abigail bought beach snacks, so we'll have a good day.

I had to get up bright and early this beautiful morning too, because Mali had to come pick up little Lydia because she has a Sunday visitation schedule with her daddy.

Sleeping in is over rated. Shh, don't you tell me any different.

It's always something, right? Paul came home early the other day, it was a gorgeous day, umbrella sky, the best color blue...he loaded the kayaks into the back of the truck, he and Jonny were goin' fishing! Well. The truck wouldn't start. They fussed and messed with it, blew a fuse, which needs replacing. The new one is ordered, won't arrive until Wednesday. So now we're down to one vehicle again for a bit. And no fishing for them, Paul just mowed the lawn instead.

Nothing too exciting is going on.

Except for this: Jonathan and I are going to Oregon!!!! Kathryn is due to have her baby on the Monday after Thanksgiving, so Jon and I are flying out there on Thanksgiving day! It's not ideal, we miss turkey day with the family, BUT. It's the busiest travel weekend of the year, and the flights are outrageously expensive. The prices go down AFTER her due date, but the whole point is to go out there to be with her while she has that little baby. It's a difficult thing to time, and Oregon isn't just across the street. We're staying until the 13th of December, a red-eye flight, so we'll get back to New York on Saturday morning, the 14th.

I am so excited! I am so extremely thankful that I get to go out there for this! It's not fair nor fun to have one of your very favorite daughters get married and move a few thousand miles away, but then a baby! I cannot miss that! It's going to be hard to leave, I can tell you that right now. I already had a nightmare that she was way overdue, and I had to leave right after the birth!

Anyway. It's a good day.

1 comment:

Marilyn said...

Hello Della 🌞 Isn’t this weather just beautiful? We’re having it too! BUT ...by the weekend it could be Zero C here 😳 What!! I hope you enjoyed your beach day today. Sounds like fun. Isn’t it a terrible shame about those fairs. They’re always such a rip off. $5 for a pony ride is deplorable..........and those poor pony’s 😟 The kids always have fun though. I hope that little baby comes right on time for you Della. You and Jon will have such a good time. I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed that your dream doesn’t come true.

Marilyn from Canada