summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, February 10, 2022

being free, and other excellent things...

 Is the very word freedom exciting for you all, or is it just me?  So many things about that word...taking your bra off at night, going off on your own, eating/drinking/saying whatever you like...it's the most essential concept, something we should all value.

Freedom can go too far, and for that reason, we need to be faithful and obedient to our own consciences, to what God whispers to us.  I was thinking last night, when I couldn't sleep, that no matter what we own,  we can't take it with us.  No way, no how.  So we spend our fleeting lives gathering what we can't bring into eternity.   So in a sense, we have to be FREE from all these things things that glitter and ensnare, because they are truly temporal.  

(When Abigail was three, she had a little purple purse that she just loved.  She would get upset if she had to put it down, she said, "When Jesus comes back, I want to bring my purse when I go with Him."). Um, honey?  I hate to break it to you...

Anyway.  We all know that there are better treasures to seek here in our days.

Angie asked me about fairness.  I am no expert, but I'll say that with 16 kids, I couldn't possibly be fair all of the time.  So I would find myself saying:

1.  Sometimes you get something and your sibling didn't, so share if you can, and maybe next time they'll get something and you won't, and they'll share with you.

2.  Be happy for your brother/sister if they get something nice, one of these days you'll get something random.

(I have a friend who had a large family.  I had come across something really cool that one of her kids would like, so I offered it to her to give to that child for Christmas.  She declined.  She said she would have to get everyone else another gift, to keep if fair.  I was absolutely stunned, I never gave an equal amount of gifts.  I'm not saying she was wrong, but she inadvertently cultivated the idea in her kids that things should be equal.)  

3.  Life isn't fair.

4.  I love you all.

There were times I would find good things, bring them home and toss them to the kids, and maybe one didn't get something, so I would give them a hug, and tell them, "next time!".  oops.  But it's life, and they know I love them.  That is the bottom line.  I want them to know that I value each of them.

I do specifically remember wanting more of my mother's attention, as an adult.  I had six siblings, and she would spend lots of time with my SIL, and my sister, and my brother and his wife...I didn't always like sharing her.  So honestly, I don't know what I'd do if I worked, because it's a part time job keeping up with my kids, even though most of them are grown up.  I like to answer them right away if they text, and to call them/face time when they want to talk, and just keep in touch with them all, as much as I can.  I do love this part time job, and am thankful I have the time for it, as it's one of life's greatest joys.  

And speaking of freedom, I am working on giving that to them...they can raise their kids how they want, and make choices in life...I can give an opinion if they ask me, but oh my goodness, I am finding so much busy-body-ing in me, and I don't want to be like that.  

Today, Camille and I are going out and about.  We're going to the grocery store that has the sirloin steak on sale for $3.99 (my absolute favorite, and these days, not too much more pricey than hamburger...plus we only have four kids left at home, so...it's doable!).  We'll get some dog chow, and bread, and a few other things, then she has an appointment for a hair cut.  

Last evening, I babysat for little Tennyson so his mama could go to a youth meeting.

(his daddy, Adrian, brought Wulf with him and went to Winnipeg for Adrian's grampa's funeral). I asked Tennyson once, "Where is Wulf?"...he stopped in his tracks and looked all around, and I felt bad.  Ten is only 17 months old, but is so sharp.  He's also cuddly and sweet, and he's also like an octopus, so many arms grabbing so many things!  He was an angel for me last evening though.  I do like being Grandma.  I had also spent time with Anya and Elise yesterday...played a little Paw Patrol, and a matching game.  They made lunch all by themselves, got out the plates, asked if I wanted "a lot of peanut butter or a little", and which kind of jam...such good girls. (I chose PBJ out of the list Anya presented...)

Ah well...there are toys to pick up, and things to do....



3 comments:

Life in the Fifties said...

Our family semantics are a little different. Our many kids and now grandkids all know that they get treated "fairly" but that doesn't mean "equal" at any particular point in time. And they're good with that. Different kids have different wants/needs at different times and they know they can count on us to be there for them and their siblings. It would be exhausting to have to keep score.

Linda said...

I just love this post. This is a very hard subject for many; I have 2 brothers, and each got more than me--not complaining...for instance, my parents have helped my brothers get a house (monetary) etc...me-no. But you know what, I have come to understand somethings in life and its ok. My husband and I have never wanted anything-does that make sense? ANYWAYS, excellent post and I surely know where you are coming from, smiles. Have a beautiful day, friend.

Angie said...

Thank you!!