summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, August 25, 2017

leaving on a jet plane....

We have our boarding passes on my phone, and are all packed. I remembered my bathing suit, and hopefully my phone charger will make it into my purse before we leave. The temperature tomorrow: 100 degrees. And sunny. Sunny every day. And guess what...they have a pool and a hot tub in the back yard. I don't need to do any sight-seeing, no sir, just plant me in their back yard. But Sonja wants to see the Pacific ocean and some redwood trees and perhaps the Golden Gate bridge.

Paul's mom is doing a little bit better. And I'll say this: seeing Paul with her is a beautiful thing, he's so gentle and patient with her. Visiting the nursing home is an adventure in itself. We were there at dinner time the other night, Evelyn and Suzanne and Sonja, and I. The old people were very friendly and talkative, and one old man told us this: "When I was growing up, with three brothers and a sister, my mother taught us all how to cook. She said boys had to learn too, because when they grow up, if their wives get sick, they won't starve." ha. I told my girls that if they ever start feeling sorry for themselves, just go and visit some of these old people at the nursing home, and they'll forget their troubles in no time.

We had a huge family dinner last evening...pulled pork, corn on the cob, fries with cheese and jalapenos, tossed salad. And for dessert, brownies with chocolate chip cookie dough baked on top, and lots of chunks of a large Hershey bar on top.

Oh, lots of stuff is going on...sweet Lydia turned two yesterday and is having a birthday party on Saturday, which, wah, I am going to miss. I got her some gifts though, and the kids will go and give them to her.

Lots of stuff is going on, and I am leaving. I am glad to go, it will be relaxing and fun, but part of me is always sad to leave the rest of the family. These days it IS easy to keep in touch, so it's not like I won't know what's going on at home. I'm sure I'll probably be even more in touch than I want to be, ha, they'll be interrupting my relaxation by the pool to ask if we have any more barbecue sauce, or to report that someone yelled at someone, or is hogging the washing machine.

The house will run fine without me, in fact, with the amazing older kids that I have, the younger ones will be fine. And Paul takes pretty good care of them too, ha.

I am bringing my laptop, so if anything adventurous happens, I'll be sure to report it.:)

1 comment:

Marilyn from Canada said...

That's funny ....... the messages you will get etc. We spoke about that before 😂😂 Mine came by way of the telephone back then. So funny 😂😂😂 Enjoy your trip!!

Marilyn from Canada