summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Saturday, October 28, 2017

simply enchanting...

Autumn...the blast of color here in the northeast is so brilliant, that I find myself saying that it's more beautiful this year than ever. "You say that every year, Mom." Last evening, I was able to go along on the haunted pumpkin walk, or as it's properly named, Enchanted Pumpkin Walk...at the nature center, there are hundreds upon hundreds of carved pumpkins, all lit up, on the edges of paths through the woods...pumpkins carved as Winnie-the Pooh, Tinkerbell, Shrek, the Yankees logo...you name it. There was a magic show (which was lame, but hey, the kids liked it), then there were donuts and cider. I didn't have either, as I am trying hard to abstain from sugar.


The other night, I took these three girls to the village for a walk (Danielle (cousin/best friend), Camille, and Charlotte Claire), with Sunny. It was chilly out, but we still managed to stop at the ice cream place, which is closing soon until spring. I wasn't going to get a soft-serve vanilla/pumpkin twist, but then I reasoned that What The Heck, and I got one.

And it was good. Darn it, I was almost hoping it wasn't wonderful and delightful, but darn it, it was.

Anyway, Charlotte Claire has this idea that she wants to bring Sunny Trick or Treating. Sunny is adorable and sweet, but she's no angel on the leash, and she's very shy. So it seems obvious to me that she would ruin the night, but Char...not so easily convinced. So we went to the village and let her walk Sunny, and it wasn't terrible. She wasn't as skittish as I thought she would be, she was extremely happy to be out exploring, she tugged a bit, but didn't shy away or bark at anyone at the ice cream place. She sat for a taste, and wagged...but thankfully, Char agreed that it would make Halloween night difficult. :)



Now, it's no secret that puppies and kittens together are my favorite. I don't know why it tickles me so, to see them live in harmony. Sunny absolutely loves the kittens. The kittens have no fear of the dogs either, they rub against their legs, and snuggle up and sleep with them, all purring. It's really sweet....and yes, we have three kittens to give away still, as we are keeping one. I have an appointment for vet next week for mama kitty, she's not having any more kittens...

Paul is back from hunting, and is going to the dump. Two of the girls went to a Harry Potter festival, and the little girls are having their friend Amanda over. Jon is having a friend come over later with his puppy, to socialize it with our dogs. I'm not sure what the day will bring for me, yet. I am thinking of going to the home improvement store to buy a new kitchen faucet, as ours is broken...it still works, but the handle falls off if you don't turn it just so. I also am itching to do the countertop resurfacing and kitchen cabinet refinishing...I might just have to say NO to lots of things that come up, once I start these projects.

Have you ever had your feeling so hurt you just had to cry? It happened to me last night. I felt like such an idiot. It doesn't matter what the circumstances, but I couldn't help the brimming with tears that overcame me. It's why I could never be the President, I would cry too easily. Anyway. I couldn't help it. But now...now is what I CAN help...is the afterthoughts, the suggestions that flit through my mind that could easily lead to bitterness...and we all know that it's written about bitterness, that we should see to it that no root of bitterness should spring up, because by it, many will be defiled.(He. 12:15) We can't help our reactions sometimes, but we can help what we allow to grow and take root in our hearts, hidden where no one can see, no one but God. It's really amazing, actually, as I prayed that my heart wouldn't grow hard, that I wouldn't give in to offendedness, that I was able so see something about myself, something I did, came back to me...

Anyway. God is good. We don't have to be plagued by sin! It's hard and heavy to hold grudges, but to forgive, to let it go, it's light and good and free!



No comments: