summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, April 5, 2018

what do april snow showers bring?



April showers bring May flowers, but April snow showers bring wet sneakers and cold feet. I mean, who gets up early enough to shovel a path...in APRIL?



Sunny didn't mind her bunny ears at all.


And the baby bunny suit: how could a grandma resist? Baby Wulf wore this for his first Easter!

Well, the good news is that this fine morning, I WANT to blog. I like writing. But our internet has been SO extremely sloooooww, it takes several minutes to load one picture. We have called the Time Warner/Spectrum multiple times, but they won't install service on our rural road until 2020 or so. So we have local internet, and it keeps stopping and starting. Things don't load, they stop running...but, I still like writing.

This fine morning, we have snow. Not just a dusting, enough that we have to shovel the driveway.

My son Samuel is coming "home" for the weekend, he has Army Reserves drill. He is coming without baby Grant, and Grace because Grace has to work, and he's not up to driving seven hours with a small baby in the back seat, all by his lonesome. It'll be really nice to see Sam, although it's sad that it's just him, and that sounds mean, but I will enjoy seeing Sam.

We will be celebrating Paul's birthday here on Friday night, I think most of the older kids can make it...maybe all of them except for Aaron, now that I think about it. I'll be making chicken wings and some veggies or a salad.

Then on Saturday, Paul is leaving for India, and I am working the Monster Jam...the Dome where we usually work for college sports will be filled with dirt and monster trucks...oh the noise and dust, and the overpriced food...wah. But I'll be working with Ben and Joe and Adrian and Mirielle and Kathryn and Evelyn and Suzanne, and lots of friends.

So poor Anya now has the throw up virus. It makes me sad, because I love her so much, I hate when kids get sick.

It got me thinking of years gone by, when we would have a sickness and it would pass from kid to kid...usually, it started really sneakily, when you least expected it, right after you decided enough is enough and made sure a certain kid didn't waste their dinner, no, you need to eat that good healthy food if you want dessert kind of thing, then that night you find out they weren't just telling you their belly hurt and they weren't hungry, oh the apex of Mommy Guilt. Barf. So you avoided spaghetti meals for a while, just in case another one got it, ha.

And they did.

I did get much more lenient about what the kids ate, through the years. I gave them just small amounts if they didn't like something, and if they had something they really hated, I didn't force them to eat it. I am a super picky eater, so I am not really qualified to be a mom, but somehow I am anyway. It's hard when you yourself hate things like mayonnaise, then you raise a whole brood of kids who won't touch it.

Anyway. Life has changed, but it's good.

2 comments:

Martha said...

Jim and Michele came without Austin back in August. It was a bit sad even though I loved seeing them.
Throw up bugs always follow either spaghetti or hot dogs...
I drove through an April blizzard on my way to work.
:0)

Marilyn said...

Hi Della...........we are having cold weather too! Enough already.....it was -15C this morning for heavens sake. Coldest beginning of April for 30 years 😱 Poor little Anya...........barfing is so awful. I hope she’s feeling better real soon.

Marilyn from Canada