summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, September 7, 2018

break out the pumpkin spice!!!

It's chilly here in the northeast, finally! Now, I am not one to wish summer away, like some of those Fall Fanatics, pining to walk in crunchy leaves. I like my pool and the sunshine on bare arms. But, it has been so humid and warm lately, the cool feels good.

The pool has been 82 degrees. With the cooler temps, the water is going to get cold, and even if/when it warms up next week, is anyone going to want to swim? It's the yearly dilemma, when do we close up the pool? If I were a millionaire, I would have an indoor pool. Not a huge-0 one, just one of those small endless pools...

Anyway. Never an end to the drama around here...one daughter has a creepy boss, another needs to get to the city north of here for work and there aren't enough vehicles, one van still in the shop. Mali couldn't get a rental car yet yesterday so we had Lydia overnight again, which is fine, but the two high school girls have tons of homework already and Lyd wants them to play with her:) Suze was doing homework with Lydia on her lap.

Here's the thing: I don't mind at all if the kids tell me their troubles, I'm glad to try and help any way I can. I usually ask first if they've prayed about it. I told the high school girls this morning to make sure they FIRST have a connection to God, and if they are faithful in that, all other things will fall into place.

I do feel overwhelmed sometimes. I don't "work", but somehow, I am always working, ha. Yesterday, I made a triple batch of chocolate chip cookie dough. It was as hot as an oven in here anyway, may as well bake. I haven't made cookies in a while, and Samuel was leaving this afternoon, so I thought it would be nice...and for school lunches, ect. Well, Sam has drill this weekend too, so he's staying until Sunday.

Today, I am making lots of rice krispie treats, autumn-y ones, for a fall harvest bake sale. I might be working there tomorrow too. Paul and seven of the older kids are working at the college football game, but I didn't sign up because I have the younger three, and didn't know if I would have Lydia or not.

Wisdom from 14 year old Jonathan: Mom, don't you know by now that that's how teenage girls are? This was in response to me lamenting on how one of them gave me the total silent treatment in spite of me being nice and giving her a ride. Ha, Jon, I should know that by now, right?

I do have feelings, and they do get hurt, but then what do I do? Hurt feelings can lead to bitterness, tiny little thoughts banked up, hardening the heart. If I don't forgive and let things go, then I am the one who loses out, after all, it's MY heart that gets damaged. It has nothing to do with the person who "wronged" me. It feels really good and freeing to forgive, and keep my heart pure. And honestly, after I've put my own heart right with God, and worked with these things, there is grace to talk about them, and I can straighten things out in a peaceful spirit. Maybe sometimes I sense it's not necessary to rebuke or remind or straighten a matter out, sometimes it is. I think often of the verse, "Or do you despise the riches of His goodness, forbearance, and longsuffering, not knowing that the goodness of God leads you to repentance?" (Romans 2:4) I know from experience that when I have been riled up about something, if someone is especially patient with me, and kind, then I am much more apt to see myself, and how stirred up I am. So I know that if I can just be good in return, that will accomplish more than a thousand rebukes.

So never a dull moment around here. I have a lot to work on, both in the earthly, and spiritually.

And now...time to get moving...:)




















No comments: