summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, April 15, 2020

a new day!!!


Paul played UNO with the kids last night. It can get loud in here! And that plant, I picked it up last week with the groceries, how dare I!!! It's as "unessential" as it gets! But isn't it pretty? And my humble opinion: if the store has spent the money on getting this plant there, and we don't buy it, it dies, and they lose money. So it's just doing one's part!

I think we all need to take a deep breath and get a second wind here. For me, a genuinely lazy person, a chair loving, no plans kind of girl, I like the slow pace. I like having the kids here so much, and our family dinners are fantastic. There's always someone to go for a walk with, and when we all pitch in and clean up, it's like old times.

But, I believe with all of my heart that this time has a purpose, and that purpose isn't just to pass time. I look forward to seeing all of my older kids again, and my friends, and traveling, and just going camping, but what I really long for is to gather oil, in life's situations. God is good.

The truth of the matter is that I've felt a little bit close to the end of my rope a few times, a suffocating feeling, been tempted with thoughts of doom and gloom, and I've had my share of being fearful, scared, and a few times, almost terrified...the thought of not being able to breathe is scarier than actually dying. In theory, I am not afraid to go meet my maker, but then, I find there is a bit of fear in that too.

Here's one thing that really helped me: When Jesus fell on his face and asked God, "Oh My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; nevertheless less, not as I will, but as YOU will." He had to surrender HIS own will, had to give it to God, and we do, too. Jesus had been totally faithful all of His life, in every temptation, in all of his trials, yet He still had a battle there, near the end, but He overcame! He got victory! He entrusted Himself to God! And that is the way of peace. If I KNOW that God sends all things for my very best, and He is planning out my life, then where does fear fit in?

It is a battle, for sure, but we need to say NO to fear and worry and anxiety! I am thankful for this time, because I want to be free from those things!

Our governor, here in New York state, has stated that God has nothing to do with us having few cases of the virus here, it's all because of what WE have done. That is an extremely arrogant attitude! Has this whole thing taught him nothing? There's nothing in this world we can lean on, nothing we can trust!

Anyway, I am thankful this morning, there is so much to work on, and life is so hopeful. When we put our trust in Him, we shall not be put to shame.

6 comments:

Marilyn said...

Good morning Della.........I think we all have a few fearful moments in the midst of all of this. I hope your Emily will be kept safe. We always worry about our children. That’s a mother’s lot in life, isn’t it? My daughter works in the ER in a very big, busy hospital as I’ve mentioned before, and I worry every day about her. Having so many of your family around is nice though I’m sure, and trying at times too!! I think we are all missing the close contact with others...........I am that’s for sure. I was excited to go to the post office yesterday!! I saw another person!! It’s in the drugstore just up the street so I saw a couple of ladies who work there that I know. We waved 👋 My husband just informed me that we are expecting some snow today!! For heavens sake.........Mother Nature must be having another hissy fit!! My daughter in Calgary said it snowed last night and is still snowing this morning 🙄 Stay healthy and happy 😊

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Marilyn said...

PS............I think flowers are a necessity.............they lift the spirit.

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Linda Conley said...

Thank you for keeping it real...my end of the rope has long been reached, Della. (again, keeping it real and if we were to ever meet up, you would know instantly that I like to keep it real, grin.)

I am really struggling with the limits that have been placed on us Americans. I am very upset now with the new directive from the governor of having to wear masks now (umm, not going to comply --which has my husband stating, "I better set aside bail money then, grin.") Now, we had our telecomputer dr, appointments this morning, and he the dr. stated, "J-U-L-Y" for reopening of the state...and sure enough, our governor eluded to it today.

Now, I am married to a former disaster chaplain and I am trying to see the reasoning...and I think the good Lord probably has had enough of my attitude...with that said, it is what it is. HE knows it...keeping everyone and everything in prayer. Like you, I find myself struggling...again, it is what it is...and I totally dislike that saying.

Anonymous said...

I think it is ok for all of us to sometimes feel overwhelmed, scared, worried, even annoyed at all the changes. I think that is completely normal and not another thing we have to beat ourselves up for.
However, trying to see all we have, rather than what we don't have, helps to get back to a better headspace. If we have still got our health, our family and a job as well as a home and food, we are already doing much better than a lot of people. Simple, basic gratefulness. That doesn't mean we can never have a time to feel a little shaky. Sending love to you & your beautiful family.

PS. It is always a good idea to play UNO!

Simone

Neen said...

I was going to say the say thing that Marilyn said. FLOWERS ARE ESSENTIAL for our mental well being!

Dawn Marie said...

Beautifully written. These are trying times, for sure, but I do believe we can find purpose in it.