summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, November 4, 2020

some good news here in New York....!!!

Sunshine! Sunny skies! The trees are mostly bare, but there are still some gorgeous colors clinging to the branches, and the country roads still beam with muted oranges and golds, mostly fallen leaves. When the sun shines on all of this, you forget the desolate weather to come, and hopefully you forget about the election. So we are getting new flooring for our bathroom, which for me, is BIG HAPPY NEWS. I've mentioned our old linoleum, we moved in here in 1992...and where the flooring meets the shower stall, it's curled up, and oh the yuckiness. You can clean the bathroom, but you can't make it look nice. So I'm going to go shop for that, decide whether to go with a new vanity top or buy a used one I've got my eye on, get a new faucet, a mirror, some towel bars and get going on this project...next week of course, when the sun goes back to where it usually is in central NY, behind a thick blanket of clouds. I am going to prime and paint the vanity, spray paint the toilet paper holder and existing towel bar, paint the door and trim, spray paint the door handle...oh, the fun! I love love love doing these projects. I want to get some little night stands for near our bed, too, some that need to be transformed...put them away for the long winter when I am itching for a project. I don't NEED them, now or ever, but they're something I think would be nice. Yesterday, all my tentative plans changed with one phone call from Wulf: "Grandma, can I come to your house?" Well, yes, you can, little guy! His mama came with baby Tennyson, and his daddy, Adrian, came too. Adrian measured the bathroom and gave me an estimate for how much flooring to get, he seems to think it's an easy enough project...
I got some toys ready for Wulf to play with. The doggies ran through and knocked things down, then decided the blanket on the floor looked comfy...oh well. Today, I have some little friends coming to spend the day, and we're going to spend some time with Anya and Elise, my sweet granddaughters who live down the road a few miles... Tomorrow, I'll get going on gathering supplies for my projects. But the election, oh dear! Who will win? Will the cities be destroyed by violence? If you haven't placed your trust in God yet, it might be a good time to consider it!

3 comments:

Linda said...

Big big smiles. Can't wait to see the changes you make, smiles. I hope your having a beautiful day friend.

Anonymous said...

I have always wondered how folks who live in snowy areas are able to work on painting projects (and deal with the resulting paint fumes) during the dead of winter when you are unable to open windows for ventilation. Living in my area of California, I am used to pretty much keeping windows open 24/7 most of the year. With regards to the election, I was just saying to my husband that maybe the results being delayed a few days will give people a chance to sort of ease into and accept the results. Prayers for a peaceful reaction.

Laurie in California

16 blessings'mom said...

Laurie, I use latex paint, not so fume-y. I accidentally bought an oil based primer, it was too difficult for me to work with, between the strong fumes and the messy clean up, so I bought more latex based. Chalk paint is fine to work with indoors. As for spray painting, I put those things in a cardboard box, or just on some cardboard, and spray outside on a non-rainy day. I have been known to spray-paint cabinet knobs in the rain under an umbrella. You cannot spray paint indoors though!
As for the election results, it's not easy, but I decided to just let it go, it's not my problem, I refuse to be stressed about it. I actually imagined putting my care for it in my hand, opening my hand up, and letting it go, just dissipate, fly away...I actually felt a lot better!