summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, September 26, 2022

getting the most out of our Monday

 

Apple pie...I only had a spoonful, although believe me, I could eat the entire thing, no problem.  It tastes much better than it looks...and the pumpkin, why did I stab it so many times?  I'll tell you:  I was getting tired of waiting to eat it...it's a regular pumpkin pie, except for no sugar, just some monk fruit sugar stuff, that doesn't have any calories or raise the blood sugar...and the crust is very thin.
The apple pie before baking...
We bought some pumpkins today!
Miss Char and Miss Cam and a double rainbow...
Charlotte Claire:  she missed the bus this morning, so I had to drive her to school.  I gently reminded her that I DID tell her to get to bed last night.  Oh dear.  I picked her up from school today, and we went to the thrift store.  She found some cute things, and we got a nice pair of UGG boots for seven dollars.  We also went to Marshall's, and only bought a few baby clothes for grand babies, and a new hair brush for Miss Char.  Then to Aldi, for a ready made pizza for their dinner, some cheese, butter, coffee cream, seltzer, a bag of frozen French fries, some broccoli, and some mixed veggies.  Everything is SO expensive, a four pound bag of chicken wings:  $14.99.  $14.99!!!!  Not too long ago, not too far from here, we could eat three of those bags in one meal!   It makes me sad for people, seeing the high prices.
Camille measuring the flour, sugar, brown sugar, and cinnamon/cloves/allspice/pumpkin pie spices.
Coffee...ah.

Home from shopping, got the pies into the oven, after the pizza was done...I made some burgers too, as I rarely eat pizza.  Charlotte Claire is at Norwegian class, Camille is working on her story, and Sonja is doing homework.  It's quiet in here, and smells like a bakery, an autumn bakery, apple pie and pumpkin pie...it's like:  home from Florida, now do all the fall things!

So it was hard to leave Grandma, with a hurricane coming!  Her next door neighbors are sweet, and lots younger than she is.  They're planning to bring her along if they have to evacuate.  I really wish I were there with her, she's not scared, but still...   and all of my Florida friends, be smart, and stay safe, and let us all know how you are faring!  


(Grandma). 


7 comments:

Betty said...

We moved from Dade city to Jacksonville area and expect to get lots of rain and some wind. We have lived in Florida for 28 years after leaving syracuse. The second year we lived here was the year we had 3
Hurricanes worst thing that happened was we lost power and had tree branches to clear up. We take all the precautions, have a generator and lots of good reading material. This too shall pass. Will keep your mother in law in my prayers, having moved from a retirement community I found one thing to be true they are like family and do look out for each other.

16 blessings'mom said...

Betty, she's in Zephyrhills. Her neighbors do watch out for her, the community is 55 and up, and so there are some relatively young people there. I hope this one passes without too much damage. She wasn't afraid at all when we left, but now she's gotten the evacuation orders and has to go to the school down the road, that is a really big deal for her, especially with short term memory issues. Thank you for your encouraging words...

Deb said...

Love that pumpkin stand pic. Looks like a chilly day with those heavy clouds. I haven't gotten pumpkins quite yet. Just a few more days till October then I'll hopefully grab some, plus some mums. My summer flowers are still hanging in there. The pot of marigolds actually died off during a dry spell/cold snap mid-summer but they've come roaring back to life. And just last week something knocked my pot of geraniums off the stand and everything fell out. I scooped it all back in when I found it in the morning, gave it a good watering, and they seem to be surviving, have started blooming again.

I haven't paid attention to the news much so don't know much about this hurricane. Hoping it's not too serious, or fizzles out!

Anonymous said...

Oooh praying for Grandma!
Valerie

Unknown said...

Hi Della………..those pies look sooooooooo delicious 🤤 I have not mastered gluten free pastry, in fact have given up…..too many epic fails!!

In glad you had a lovely time with Grandma. She would enjoy seeing you all I’m sure. I hope everyone is safe and the storm turns out to not be as bad as predicted. The one that hit the east coast of Canada did some terrible damage. I have friends in Nova Scotia and they are on my mind. I haven’t heard anything from them, so hoping all is well. They are not right on the coast, so maybe not impacted as much. Scary 😟

Looks like another beautiful day here today! Gotta love these beautiful fall days! 27C tomorrow they say!! 🥳🥳 You have a lovely day.

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

16 blessings'mom said...

Deb, I hate when the beautiful summer flowers start dying, it's sad. It's kind of early for pumpkins but I had to get some for our activity club tonight, they're going to paint them. I hope the hurricane isn't too serious, but honestly, it's looking pretty bad.
Thank you, Valerie!
Marilyn, I've seen some footage from Nova Scotia, oh dear! I hope your friends are okay! I heard from Grandma a few minutes ago, she's heading to Dads City, must be a shelter there, with her neighbors.

Terri D said...

I quit trying to make pie crust. Mrs. Smith does it much better than I do! Thanks for the catch-up!! I am always amazed at all you do. Glad you aren't in FL now and sure hope grandma will be safe! xo