summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, July 17, 2014

HE'S HOME!!!! HE SURPRISED ME!!!!!

Samuel James is home!!!! He's home, and I love it!!!!

He passed his fitness test on Monday, and didn't tell his Mama. Then yesterday he got the okay from his Sgt. to go on leave, so he texted Mirielle...and said shh, don't tell Mom. So...I was out and about yesterday with some of the kids, we went to the library and to the thrift store, and ordered pizza (if you order Domino's online, it's half price).

Then Kathryn said she needed to be home by 4 because she was doing something with Mirielle. I grumped about that a little, I mean, we were going to go to the park, then next thing we knew, we had to get home. Then at home, Mirielle was all dressed in scrubs and fixing her lunch. I was puzzled, I thought she had the night off. No, she said, overtime. Okay. Why did the girls have to get home then? She said she was dropping them off at Em's, they were doing something with Emily. Oh. Okay. I guess.

A few hours later, a car pulled in the driveway, and I thought Paul was home from work. But two doors slammed, so I went and looked out the window. It was Mirielle. hmm. Then I heard his voice. Distinctly Sam's voice, and I saw a glimpse of camo, and I actually shrieked with joy, I mean I SCREAMED. I was so surprised and excited! I ran out and hugged that poor boy half to death!

The little girls came running when they hear me scream, they said they thought there was a snake in the house:)

So yeah, they pulled one over on me.

He is home for a week +, and it's wonderful. He and I went for one of our evening strolls last night, him in his bare feet, like old times. When he left in February, the snow was piled up by the foot, and it was freezing out, so it had been since last fall since we walked after dinner. Sam is the best walking companion, he just doesn't run out of things to talk about.

Today we surprised Grandma. We visited with her for a bit, then headed to the small city so Sam could buy a few things. McDonald's drive through, too, since he hadn't had any since February. Then to BJ's where I finally bought those cinnamon rolls he loves...and some chicken wings, which are in the oven right now, and some corned beef for tomorrow's dinner.

Who could ever imagine what a feast it is to just have one child (I say "child", but he is almost 19:)) home? It is amazing that there is so much love in my heart for each one of these guys. And that we are all so glad to have Sam here for a bit. He is indeed stationed in Washington/Virginia, and will start his training there soon with the Old Guard.

And now to get that dinner made....

16 comments:

Susan said...

I am smiling hugely! (That may not really be a word)

WELCOME HOME SAM!!!!!!!!

~JoAnn~ said...

So happy for you all that Sam is home finally and is safe and sound. Congrats to him for passing his test. Blessings joann

Chrissy in Chaos said...

The title of this post popped up on my dashboard and I got goosebumps!!! So happy you have that young man home and pleased to read he passed! You and your kids and your life are inspiration to me with my four kids and my husband who also works away lots. :) keep posting!

FLmom7 said...

Yay!!! So glad he's home! Enjoy your time together.

Martha said...

Yeah! Don't you just love surprises?! Except for snakes, of course.
:0)

cheryl said...

Perfect!!!!

Piper Paradise said...

Oh my gosh!!!! I am so happy for you all!!!

Anonymous said...

Great news! Enjoy your week! :)))) smiles all around for you and your kids!
Rosie

Anonymous said...

Tears of joy! Loved that he wanted to surprise his Mom.

Mary from Boston

Unknown said...

What a wonderful surprise!!

And congratulations to Sam, his hard work paid off.

Anonymous said...

Awesome news! Love love surprises like that, well done Samuel!

Kathyb1960 said...

OHhh that's WONderful!!! I started to say something the other day on your b-day that maybe he was gonna surprise you but then I decided if he WAS going to surprise you, I sure didn't want to put that thought in your mind!!!

Glad he's home safe and sound and SOOOO glad he passed that darn test!!! :-)

Anonymous said...

So happy Sam passed and how cool of your kids to surprise you like that!

Mert

PJ said...

This post made me cry. Tears of joy of course for both of you. I'm so happy Sam is home. Please thank him for his service. God Bless all of you!

Deb said...

This post just made me smile through and through! So happy for you!

Anonymous said...

Yay!! Glad he is home for a bit and you can love on him!

Holly L.