summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, December 5, 2017

cookies and coffee and sparkly things...

are the delusion of December, the sunshine and puppy dogs of the season. It's exciting! It is. I feel like a kid this year, all happy with anticipation. I got Paul something really cool, and with my own money, and can't wait for him to be all happy about it. If you must know, he's a hard one to please.That's not even the right way to describe it, it's more like he doesn't show it, or maybe that he doesn't see the need to fake it. If it's just a ho-hum gift, he'll give a ho-hum reaction, not smile and say how much he loves it, like I do.

Yesterday was really nice, in the early afternoon, Margaret and I went out shopping. I had some Target coupons: a ten dollar gift card came in the mail (off the purchase of fifty dollars or more), I had another gift card, then had returned some things and had still another gift card, then had a 20% off the total purchase coupon from black Friday. I got some Secret Santa stuff done, and a few gifts, and had a nice time with Margaret, she dawdles along and wasn't in a hurry, it was seriously enjoyable.

Our weekend was fantabulous. We had company on Friday night. I had a baking day on Friday. Four pumpkin pies, two loaves of bread, a loaf of low carb almond bread, and chocolate chip cookies.

Paul made venison stew, and some venison roast, both very good, and this from someone who doesn't like it very much.

Saturday was our church Christmas concert, the little girls sang, "We need a little Christmas", and it was sweet. It was incredibly blessed and encouraging. Here is my sister Cheryl with me. :)


Back at home in the evening, everyone was here except for Aaron. The nurses had the night off, Samuel was here for the weekend, and even Grandma visited, although I got here right after she left.

Sunday, more company! Paul was slicing up and packaging more deer meat at the kitchen table while I made a ham dinner at the other end of the room...ham, roasted potatoes, sliced veggies, rolls, and more cookies for dessert. There were at least twenty of us eating, and it was crazy but fun.

Now after all the company and the busyness, the house needs another thorough cleaning, but blah, I do not feel like it.

In a little while, Anne will be here. And after that, Sam will be leaving, going back to Virginia, to where he calls home these days. Some stories are not mine to tell, but you know, there is a story here, one that I have been going through...you know how sometimes I say that life ain't all rainbows and sprinkles? Well, sometimes you just get hit with these trials, right out of left field, and wow. Okay. But here's the thing: Samuel is going to be a daddy! Imagine our surprise, not long after he got out of the Army, us not even knowing he had a sweetheart! So for all these months, I haven't said anything because he had to tell people his own way, and it's not my story to tell.

His sweetie's name is Grace, and she is just finishing her degree in elementary education. Their baby is due next month, and if it were up to Sam, he would marry her right now, but like I said, it's not my story. Sam is trying to find his way in life, instead of going to college after the Army like he thought he would, he's working and trying to find a job as a police officer. It serves him well that he was in the Old Guard, I have no doubt he will find something good. The fact is that Sam and Grace love each other very much, she is a very nice girl, I really like her. Things don't always go the way this mama thinks they should, children grow up, and have minds of their own. The good thing is that Sam is a good kid, and is very determined to go forward in life with living for God, and being responsible, and putting things right. He is extremely excited about the upcoming birth of his baby, and plans to be a good father, and help raise his son.

So, I am going to be a Grandma of four, and this will be the first grandson! :)











8 comments:

Susan said...

Yes, we all must find our own way in life and no two will walk the exact same path. From everything I have read about Sam in the last four years, he has a good head on his shoulders. Having said that-congratulations to all of you! A big surprise but a happy time for your family.
Cheryl has the sweetest face and it seems she is doing well. I love that photo.

terre said...

well congrats on the new grandson! you are right --- sometimes things happen out of order but in the end, YOU get a new blessing to enjoy and love on. remember, God is in control and knew the whole story even before it happened. and guess what, i anticipate a new granddaughter next month as well.

terre over at zoomama speaks...

16 blessings'mom said...

Susan, Cheryl is doing well, relatively, the meds to keep her cancer in remission have plenty of side effects:(, but she is in good spirits, and is hopeful. (she is so much fun, I love her dearly). And Sam does have a good head on his shoulders, he takes this upcoming responsibility very seriously, and can't wait to meet that baby.

Terre, congrats to you too! Those grand babies are amazing! And God does know what He is doing...we were called before the world was even formed...:)

LK said...

Congrats on your fourth grandchild!! Just wanted to say too, you look lovely in that gray dress. My mom is still thinking of what to wear for my wedding and I might show her that pic.

Rose S. said...

Congrats Gramma ~ I love boys... so curious! :)

Rose

Joybells said...

Congratulations on this exciting news, and may this new baby be a blessing and also experience the blessing of having a godfearing grandmother, and father. Our prayers make a great difference, also for the years to come. ❤ And may I please have your almond bread recipe? Does it have eggs? We are allergic. :(

Love from Joy

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a happy story. That is so nice, I'm sure Sam will be a wonderful daddy. Best of luck to both of them!

You & Cheryl look fantastic!
Simone

Tereza said...

I wonder how many grandchildren in total you will end up having!!!!! :):)
Yes they must find their own way and we can pray for them and love them.