summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, June 5, 2019

a day in the hospital....

This fine morning, which started somewhere after 4 a.m., because I have this thing wherein when I know I have to get up, I keep waking up to check what time it is, was frazzle from the word GO. I made my coffee, while Sonja huddled on the couch under a blanket, nervous, and not ready for this day. We had to stop and get gas in the van, of course, and I had to hit the ATM because I already owe Camille and Jonathan, and they weren't up to hit up for another few bucks, for the parking garage.

We were only five minutes late. And you know how it is, hurry hurry hurry, only to get there and wait wait wait. Sonja had her blood pressure and pulse and temperature taken, got an I.V. put in...then we waited some more.



She was still smiling though.

I waited in the waiting room, the surgery was to take two and a half hours. It went well, considering. Dr. said there was lots of broken cartilage behind the kneecap, which was tilted and totally on the side. She had the "new" tendon installed, and Dr. said he had to stretch it quite tight to hold that knee in place. I know, barf-a-licious, right?

I sat in the waiting room with a book I had already read and had brought accidentally. So I watched mindless t.v. and read articles on my phone. I also listened to the fellow waiting room people. One guy, 84 years old, lives out in the same neck of the woods as we do. He still works, he's a logger...he had on John Deere suspenders, said he has an American flag on his mailbox, and it's been there since the day "The Boy" deployed to Iraq. He then said, "I hate the government." Then the lady with the, "I just want to drink wine and pet cats" shirt came in. Life is stranger than fiction.

Sonja got moved up to a room in the ICU, and while she napped, I told her nurse I was stepping out for a little ride...coffee, mmm-hmm. And a salad from Wendy's. I brought Sonja back some fries and nuggets, and she nibbled them a bit.

Evelyn is staying the night there at the hospital with her, which is nice for me. Being there all day is tiring, and I wouldn't be able to sleep in a chair.

I'll get up early and go up there, and bring her home as soon as I can.

We started painting our foyer yesterday. Paul had taken down the chandelier, finally ha, and painted the ceiling. So I spray-painted the chandelier yesterday morning, along with the door handle, the coat hooks, and the light-switch cover, all black. Jon painted the downstairs hall ceiling, while Sonja and I started the foyer painting. It looks nice, but is half done. We just got tired, and we knew we had to get up early this morning. So it's half done, and who knows when we'll get back to it?

My whole life is just Under Construction, ha.

And here it is, 9:15, and I am ready to shower and head to bed...oh, I'm getting old!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, poor poor Sonja. That is a lot to deal with at her age.
Simone