summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Sunday, June 16, 2019

it was a dark and dreary morning...

...but the warm memories of the day before sustained her.


I got to go out and about with five daughters! Evelyn had the crazy idea to take her sisters to get their nails done. They made the appointment for bright and early, and asked to use the van. Paul and Jonathan were here, doing yard work, mowing, trimming a few trees. The girls asked me if I wanted to go, and how could I turn that down? No, I didn't get my nails done, I have zero interest in pretty nails. It just does not appeal to me, so I dropped them off, and went to The Burlington Coat Factory, and wandered around all by myself for a while. I found some Nike pants for Anya, a cute top for Lydia, a bra for me, a water bottle for Paul for Father's Day, and a rug for the foyer. I exercised some self-restraint, because oh boy were there some nice things I didn't "need". A gray framed mirror for $14.99, and a cute little pale pink with white polka dots ceramic tea pot for $12.99. A gray and white table runner which would be perfect for the top of that ugly cube storage thing in the foyer, $9.99. A hard-to-find bathing suit in my size, but not exactly my favorite color, so that wasn't hard to pass by.

When the girls were done, we went to the grocery store. Evelyn had to buy flowers, plates, ect. for a youth gathering, and I let the girls each get some of the Wegman's Chinese food. We stocked up on ice cream bars (they have the best 60 calorie no-sugar-added fudge bars at Wegman's!!), got some strawberries, and some raw baby spinach.

Home...ah home. The kids eventually all left for their youth activities and party, and wow, Paul and I were here all alone! So, we finished painting the foyer. It's all painted!!! I put the light switch plate back on, the one I spray painted black. The railing needs to be re-installed, and the huge-0 thrift store mirror has to be hung. I chalk painted the frames of a few pics that were on the wall down there, and they need to go back up.

We're having a graduation party for Suzanne this coming Saturday. That means all week I moan and fret about what needs to be done around here, then Friday I get my arse in gear and do the work of ten men. I haven't even planned the food yet. The old, "the kids will help me" is expiring, ha. Sonja K. is on crutches, has a dr. appointment tomorrow and will prob start physical therapy this week. Suzanne is in her senior year, not sure how many tests and finals she has to study for. Jonathan is extremely busy, he has a summer job doing mowing and maintenance, and is rarely home. So what gets done, gets done. Although I do admit when I have something like this party coming up, it inspires me to do those little projects.

Last night I had a dream that our family rented an airbnb for a little getaway, and the people left a little boy and a newborn baby there! I just couldn't believe they left them there! I was huffy and indignant, how could we be paying to stay, yet they were getting free babysitting? At the same time, I loved it. The little boy was adorable, and the newborn...well, we were all fighting over the newborn. Margaret took over, just took that baby and took care of him. But I kept mentioning how I simply couldn't believe the people would just leave their kids there without even mentioning them, assuming we would take tenderly good care of them, and the rest of my family just took it in stride.

Anyway...church soon, then to Ben and Ashley's nice big house for a Father's Day gathering...I have pulled pork in the crock pot and have to cut up a watermelon...

1 comment:

AnAmericanHousewife said...

You plan and prepare for 'events' like I do. But I work best that way. I also pack for trips that way... I realized about 8 years ago it worked best to do all the laundry in the house, so everything and everything I needed was clean and ready; then pack the night before I leave. Works perfectly every time. (Why didn't I think of this 20 years ago when the kids were tiny and I need a 'pair of shorts' a 'sundress' or shirt that I already packed earlier that week; and would have to rewash at the last second to pack again?) :P