summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, May 5, 2021

getting ahead, getting behind, and getting tired...

 There's a thing in life, an invisible something we call getting ahead.  It's the American dream on steroids, the house and two kids, then better and better cars maybe, a good retirement plan, going from the apartment to the starter home to the nice big house, back to a small but luxurious empty nest residence.

But things don't always go on this linear pathway, and sometimes we're blindsided by large events, or a series of small ones, and we realize that we are actually getting behind.  When this happens, when a rug has been pulled from beneath, and there is uncertainty, insecurity, you might realize that your trust was mistakenly placed in earthly things.  

But we arrived in this world naked and poor, and we're all getting out of it the same way.  The only thing we can take with us is our pile of heavenly treasures, the oil in our lamps, those things are precious.  Those things are what we amass during our daily struggles.  

Yesterday, I brought my beautiful new car up to the collision place.  


The matching duct tape job is quite impressive, but the collision guy said we shouldn't be driving her too much at this point.  The parts have to be ordered, so it's looking like a few weeks before she's beautiful again.  I told the guy that this is the nicest car I've ever had.  He assured me that when he's done, one will never be able to tell she's been in a crash.   There is a five hundred dollar deductible.  I asked him if he could try to cut a bit of that out, because ouch, but we'll see.  

Anyway.  It's always something, isn't it?  

I certainly don't mean to complain, we have so much!  We have our home and our vehicles, which are grand to us, we have plenty!  

Yesterday, sweet little Tennyson and Wulf came for the day with their mama, Margaret, so she could work from here.  I got this train, new in the box from the thrift store, for four dollars.  Wulf was impressed.  He filled the cargo car with Hershey Kisses.

Lydia came over in the afternoon and stayed for dinner, and went to activity club with us.
(Wulf was hiding)

It was a busy day, we went for a walk, we played some board games, we read our favorite book:
In my regular daily life, I forget how challenging it is to be with small children all day.  It's rewarding and wonderful, but it is tiring.  It isn't just that it requires patience and sacrifice, but there's no sitting around!  A day is like a mini marathon!

By the time I sat in my chair and put my feet up last night, it was after nine o'clock, and phew, I felt old.

Emily and Mariel are on vacation in Utah, they are visiting Zion National Park to hike.  I stole a few of their pics..


Two beautiful girls, two beautiful pictures.

Today, my agenda is much more open than yesterday's.  I have to look into getting a rental car through our insurance, if possible, as we have a little trip to Connecticut this weekend, and, the collision guy said DO NOT DRIVE THAT CAR ON ANY ROAD TRIPS.  

Here's a story as old as time:  Mom talks to teenager...teenager hears everything completely wrong.  Mom tries to reason with teenager, teenager stomps to room, slams bedroom door.  harrumph.  Mom sits in her comfy chair wondering WHAT THE HECK, that came out of nowhere!  

So my life isn't all sunshine and roses, now is it?





6 comments:

Linda said...

Oh no!!!!! So sorry about the car...you're taking me to Conn. with you, rightttttttttt? ((grin))) JT/JK

Susan said...

No sweet Della, it is not all roses and sunshine. However, I am always impressed how you make the best out of every situation and then share that lesson with your readers. I get a great deal from your teachings.
♥️♥️♥️Susan

Unknown said...

Good morning 🤗Beautiful and sunny here and 11C. Those teenagers can be a challenge sometimes 😬😬😬 And yes looking after little ones is very tiring. I looked after my grands a few times when the parents went on a holiday........ for 2 weeks!! 😳😳 I went to their houses as there was pre-school, school etc. I was alone and was exhausted!! Oh poor me........But really I did enjoy it, but I was in bed pretty much right after them!! I can see Wulf loved the train......such a fun toy. You will be glad to get you lovely vehicle fixed.............it will be as good as new!!

Have a great day!

Marilyn’s from Canada 🇨🇦

Martha said...

So sorry about your beautiful car, but glad to hear it will be good as new soon. I can't even imagine how tiring it is to spend the day with little ones. I don't have any grands yet and wonder if I'll be able to manage by the time the come along!

Billie Jo said...

Sorry about your car!
But as Susan mentioned above, you make the most out of all situations and I appreciate your positivity! Have a cozy evening, my firend.

Terri D said...

Loved the photos of all your beautiful people! Wulf is precious! The car parts will be in soon!! Glad no one was hurt!