summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, January 31, 2008

hospital in the living room day

There's something to be said for keeping your hair clean. Because you never know what's going to happen, and when you will end up in the hospital, or doctor's office....Margaret took a fall the other night, and we considered calling an ambulance because she was in so much pain when we tried to move her. Thankfully, the house was pretty clean. But what if it wasn't? Emily the nurse came home from work just in time to bring Marg to the ER, and Paul left work and met them there: no broken bones, just some bruising and damaged nerves in the hip. I wonder if it popped out of joint....she is on crutches for a while.
Also, Evelyn (8), and Sonja (5) have what seems to be the flu. High fevers and aches....they are on the couch. So yesterday when Charlotte Claire (21 months) fell and lodged her foot between the bed frame and mattress, I thought it was just another bump and bruise you're fine kind of thing. But, she just wouldn't stop crying, and pointing to her leg. Well, Kathryn (9) went with me to the dr., along with baby Camille. X-ray: fractured ankle. Worst part: we had to wait until this morning to get in to the orthopaedic dr...try keeping a toddler off a hurt foot...anyways, she has a cute pink cast up to her thigh.
Fun, fun, fun. Oh, and Paul says I shouldn't drive the van, because the tire is shredded, whatever that means. Sometimes I think: What about ME? The baby is tenderly cared for through everything, I don't mean to brag, but I am a good mommy. And the flu-kids on the couch get their sippy cups, and medicine, and blankets, and kisses. And the girl on crutches gets her drinks and extra blankets. And I get dinner on the table for the kids who have to get out the door for whatever evening activity is going on tonight...And I wash clothes, sweep the floor, match socks, make cookies (and eat the cookies), read stories, make appointments.... and sometimes I think: What about me? Having these wonderful kids: a gift, no doubt. But sometimes, just sometimes, I really want to do something special: some time with Paul, or breakfast with my sister, or a visit with my brother.....oh well....can't spend too much time feeling sorry for myself, Camille is awake and she needs me

No comments: