summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, January 5, 2015

top ten reasons to hate winter....

I don't really feel like counting, but I hate walking on slippery surfaces. Once a long time ago, I got out of our big van carrying a baby in a car seat, now please don't think I'm a bad mom because I forgot which baby it was...but I had just debated whether to take him/her out of the car seat, then decided not to, and when I stepped out of the van with that car seat, my feet slipped right out from underneath me on the ice, and I landed, all XXX amount of pounds of me, right on that car seat. The baby was fine, but I was shaken...if that baby had been in my arms, if that baby had fallen on that ice with skinny lil me on top, oh dear.

If that don't make ya hate winter, I don't know what will.

And then there's the deck steps. Our deck steps are slippery in the winter. Sonja claims that I told them every single day of their lives to Be Careful On The Deck Steps, in the wintertime, and the ONE DAY I didn't, she fell all the way down. She's not the only one, imagine how my heart dropped when I said goodbye to Paul one morning, and to have a nice day, and probably, "Be careful on those steps.", and then heard that unmistakable kerplunking.

And then there's the driveway. When you have to play musical chairs with cars in the driveway anyway, add in some snow and ice, and it really gets fun.

Paul has a rule in the winter: back the cars in. Then it's easier to get out if it snows a lot. Now, to some people, no biggie. Just back in. But people like me, who don't always know their left from their right...yeah.

The darkness...winter's darkness. It's cozy, yes, but also claustrophobic and rather depressing. Paul leaves for work in the dark and gets home in the dark, day after day.

And for some of us who thrive on going out and about, having to stay home because of cold and snow makes us antsy.

And, going to the pool when it's this cold out: not gonna happen.

And baking, oh I love baking in the winter. But baking and not eating it, that is just not fun.

Don't even mention all those cans of pumpkin calling me...oh the pumpkin muffins I want to bake...and eat.

Winter does that to me. Makes me want to bake and eat.

Cold feet, cold hands, my nose is even cold.

The boots and mittens and hats and coats and snowpants...the hooks and shelves and doorway are overflowing.

Emily says that anyone who says they love winter is clearly lying. She has a co-worker who used to live in San Diego, and says that one gets sick of it being always sunny and warm. Emily says that cannot be true. She misses her garden, and wants to go barefoot. She is super thankful that she has a trip to Florida planned soon, to visit Gramma!

Winter isn't always horrid, but it certainly can't compare to summertime, when the sun doesn't set until nine o'clock, and there are flowers and birds and tomatoes from the garden. Summer, when I stand there at the grilling chicken in my bathing suit, when it's so hot out, I know I will have to take another dip in the pool before dinner.

I think I appreciate the summer more because of the winter, and of course even the thought of the promise of spring reminds me that this isn't like the movie Frozen. We aren't stuck here forever. It seems like it sometimes, but it will melt, the boots WILL get put away.

The Christmas decorations are all taken down and put away, and the tree is in the side woods...the house looks like the Grinch was here. He left nothing but hooks, and some wire. The empty spot where the tree was is a nice place for little girls to play, my kids have always had a thing for filling a blank space. Oh, don't worry Mom, we'll clean it up when we're done. Do you believe I still fall for this line? I was actually thinking of getting one of those little trampolines for the corner. Excess energy and all.

I just took two pans of chicken breast out of the oven. I think I am going to slice it up and put some of in barbecue sauce and some in hot sauce with a little bit of butter. Then put the kaiser rolls I bought today under the broiler for a few minutes, add the chicken to them with a little bit of cheese...and make them some toasty hot chicken sandwiches for dinner.

I am going to also make a nice big salad.

There are two pounds of Florida strawberries all sliced in a bowl on the counter, shh...I put plastic wrap on the bowl, and put a potholder on the top so the kids won't walk by and eat one, it's disguised. I bought an angel food cake today...mmmm.

Camille is hungry, so I am done here. Evelyn has already been bugging me about what's for dinner, and when is dinner. I know, I know, I said I was going to pay more attention, but honestly when the rubber meets the road and I am sitting here on a roll, leave me alone already! ha. Okay, okay, I am done. I'll fix dinner and pay attention to you kids....

5 comments:

Tereza said...

Our winters here are mild compared to yours! and I still don't like it….and Indian summer fall is my fave!

Cheryl said...

Something I tore out of the newspaper: "What good is the warmth of summer, without the cold of winter to give it sweetness." - John Steinbeck. Perhaps, but cold has its limits!!

Unknown said...

I was born and raised in Southern California, I have lived in Minnesota 11 years now. I can honestly say I LOVE winter!

In California the seasons were Hot and Hotter. Minnesota has 4 spring, summer, fall and winter. ;)

mommeeof10 said...

I love snow, when I don't have to drive in it. We have about 6 inches on the ground. No school today, but hubby still has to go to work this afternoon, which means I need to motivate the kids to shovel out his car soon. The sled are buried in the snow in the yard somewhere, as the kids did not put them away after our last snow storm in late November.

16 blessings'mom said...

It's really fun when they leave the shovels around the yard, too.