summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, September 26, 2017

on happiness and bucket lists and blessing others....

Life is a gift, and if you ever start out on Monday morning full of complaints, just sit down with the obituary section from a medium sized city's newspaper. Go ahead. Spread open those pages and roam over the names and the ages, the survivors, the pictures of those who passed away during the last week. Then go ahead and continue on with your complaints. Yes, you're tired, and someone drank the rest of the half and half and left the empty carton on the counter, or worse, put it into the garbage without even squishing it. And the sweatshirt draped over the back of the chair, the load of clean towels dumped on the couch, ugh.

This morning, I read the local news before opening the old blog. A man and his son were killed by a guy fleeing from the police...he ran a stop sign and plowed right into them. Gone. A young firefighter lost control of his car the other night, hit a tree. Gone. I know, depressing, ignore it, don't dwell on sadness. But it is part of life, and and what we don't want to think about is that we are here only temporarily. We tend to dig in our heels and build our little kingdoms as if they're permanent.

Anyway. In one of the obituaries I read, the man had TWO survivors. Two. sadness?

Anyway. Yesterday evening, we had company! In addition to Paul and I, Joseph, Kathryn, Evelyn, Suzanne, Sonja, Jonathan, Char, Camille...Margaret and Adrian came over, and Mali and Lydia. I made spaghetti for dinner, with a quick salad, and some green beans (I don't eat pasta anymore, I just eat the sauce with canned green beans...good? nah. Tolerable.)

It was so hot out, but the evening came with a breeze, and the sun went behind the trees. Today it's supposed to be almost 90 again, and humid.

Anyway. This morning I walked again! It's becoming a habit again, so I don't protest it as much in my head, I just do it.

Now I just need to get back into working out...

I have been avoiding sugar though.

Carol commented and said that visiting Ireland was on her Bucket List. I have always wanted so badly to go to Ireland, so when Mirielle started talking about it, as unpractical as it is to just drop everything and go, I said, YES!!! Life is short, right? I can.not.believe.I.am.actually.going. In two weeks!!!! Yesterday, I bought a new purse/bag, one that has a long shoulder strap so I can keep it in front of me, as I read there are many pickpockets in Dublin. :( I have my Costco raincoat, and now I just need to get some new sneakers. I wish I had some stylish boots that didn't kill my feet, but you know, if wishes were fishes we'd eat them on dishes and all that.

Ah well. There are floors to sweep and dishes to wash. And then...school to teach, and little Anne is coming over...sweet Anne. She's one year old, still crawls, but can stand up...she'll be walking any day now. She's so smart, she can say apple and ball and bye and doggy. She lets you know what she wants, and she is a busy one. I love her, can you tell? She keeps me hopping, but it's all good....:)

2 comments:

An American Housewife said...

I've never heard the wishes/fishes/dishes version!

The one I learned was "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride..." Said often by one of my High School teachers. :)

Martha said...

I am sick of people complaining about the heat when Puerto Rico is in such desperation.
I love you!