summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, June 8, 2018

surviving, and much much more!

Since I don't have a phone at all right now, I don't take any pictures, so I'll just have to describe things as well as I can. I'm here in my comfy bed, taking a slow start to the day because I worked at the amphitheater again last night. I know lots of people work, lots of people are on their feet for hours, and I applaud that. But for me, working that shift at the amp is killer, yet didn't kill me yet.

Last evening we arrived at five and worked until after eleven, so that's not even so long. I had one really quick break where I rested my arse on the edge of a cement casement, we were too busy for much more than that, and there is no place to sit down other than that. My knees are bad, not much left in between the bones for cushion, so standing for so long makes them ache. But, they're not as bad as I thought they were going to be, and it's nice to still be able to work.

We were busy last night. It turns out that close to 20 thousand people came to hear Kenny Chesney. Lines were perpetually long, and the fryers couldn't keep up with the demand for chicken tenders, and fries, so people got antsy. Having to tell customer after customer that they'll be a bit of a wait, and then they ask, "Well HOW LONG?" I have no idea, depends on how many other people are waiting for that same batch of fries....ugh. Most are okay, some are really snippy, and a few are downright rude. The prices are high (twelve bucks for 3 chicken tenders on a small bed of fries or ten bucks for a cheeseburger). No one likes missing the show while standing there waiting, and I got so I could barely remember who was waiting for what. I worked next to my son Benjamin, he made forty dollars in tips (he gave them to the people in the back, he's nice), and I only made seven. :(

Anyway. We make the most of it, and have fun in spite of the stress. One lady was rude to Ben, talking down to him, and he said he doesn't do this for a living, he's just volunteering. She asked him what he does in real life (HVAC (heating/AC)), and she just sniffed. I told him he should have told her, "Former Army Medic, served in Afganistan, Mam." He said it didn't matter, it gave him a good chance to humble himself.

Anyway. I came home and read my book and checked the news, and basically stayed up way too late. My bed is extra comfy because I bought a new mattress cover yesterday. Cam and I took a quick trip to the small city yesterday morning for bread and bananas and milk and salad stuff and burger. We stopped at Bed Bath and Beyond, and I found this king sized puffy quilted mattress cover, $24. I also bought an $80 dust-buster for twenty. What? I needed it!

Anyway. This fine morning I am planning our snack list for tonight, we are having an all-out bash! The sisters and youth girls are invited over! The pool is open, there will be a fire on the deck, and we are going to have fun! The deck is strung with fairy lights, they were all on when we got home last night, and oh my heart, I love my deck. I know it's just an earthly thing, but we have so much fun out there.

And since I haven't had my first coffee yet, I am done here for now. I leave for Oregon on Tuesday morning, and will be getting a phone soon after that, so pictures will return to the blog!!!!

1 comment:

Marilyn said...

Good morning.............that is a long time to stand on your feet with sore knees 😩 Why do people have to be so rude?? Working with the public certainly show us that. It’s a shame. I think I will have to go over to Bed Bath and Beyond....I have a 20% off coupon and I could use a new mattress cover. Enjoy your part tonight!!

Marilyn from Canada