summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, January 23, 2020

dreaming of warmth...

It had been a mild winter, by New York standards. As the lifeguard at the pool said, "We really can't complain." "But we will anyway", I said. Because yes, we can drive, there is snow and it's beautiful and the roads are clear, but it's still COLD. Cold. Chilly and cold, and brr. I have slippers and a sweater on, and am covered in a big warm blanket. The fake fireplace is humming. I can't really complain. But I can dream of warmth and sunshine.

This is why I am glad I'm going to Mexico. I try not to talk about it in front of the kids, because they aren't going, I'm going with some of the older ones. But hey, Sonja and Jonathan and Charlotte Claire and Camille are going to Norway for Easter!

Anyway. I am thinking a lot about Cancun, Riviera Maya. When I look at pics of the ocean and the sand and the palm trees, I somehow think I'd be chilly, wading in the waves. I'd be chilly lying on that beach chair, as if the sun wouldn't quite be warm enough. The pools look clear and inviting, but I can't quite imagine the water being WARM. The sun warming my skin seems like a long lost joke. I know it happens, vaguely remember it, but it doesn't seem quite real.

When I get there, I'll be too hot, and too sweaty, ha.

Between now and then though, real life. I have a sketchy spot on my back, one on my lip, and some scaly spots on my face that face, the face ones have already been treated as pre-cancerous. I do slather on my sunscreen, on my face. I do have an appointment with the dermatologist for in a few weeks. I do not love going to the dr. in the beginning of the year, we have to pay hundreds and thousands before reaching our deductible, but that's another story for another day.

I also have to go get a mammogram, yay, my favorite!

Today, we went to the dentist for teeth cleaning, Miss Sonja K. and I. Char and Cam came along too, I picked them up from school. We had to go to Walmart for some snacks for this weekend's young sisters' conference at church.

We looked like total piggies. I wanted to tell everyone who glanced at my cart then at my tummy that I was indeed going to eat every bite. Or that this was only a one day supply. We bought chocolate covered raisins, M&M's, chocolate chips, Oreos, chips, pretzels, popcorn, Skittles, gummy bears and gummy worms...it's for 140 girls, so it was a cartful.

We also went to the hair salon to get a hair cut for Miss Sonja K., aka Ginger, or Miss Ginge. She tried to cut her own hair the other night, and let's just say it didn't go as planned. So we went in for a fix. I think it looks fantastic, she has such pretty hair.

The kids were STARVING. I had suggested some Little Caesars pizza, but somehow, they wanted Wendy's. Their burgers aren't bad, and they have the four for $4 deal, where you get a burger or chicken sandwich, small fries, four chicken nuggets, and a drink, for $4. We brought some home for Jonathan too, it's a good way to make a 15 year old boy happy. I didn't get any for myself, I came home and cooked up some burger/taco meat, and had a taco salad. I did stop at the local coffee roaster for a coffee though...no flavors, no sugar, just a coffee with cream. (I always want to try the flavor specials, like coconut, vanilla, marshmallow with whipped topping with toasted coconut...but too much sugar, wah.

So here's the thing: I have only lost ten pounds in the last three months, but it's been thirty pounds lost since July 1st. Sloooooow but at least I'm going down instead of up now! I have tried on lots of my clothes, and they fit way better. I'm not exactly jumping down in sizes, although I have lost a few jeans sizes, but things fit better. I still have a ways to go, but I am not giving up. My blood pressure was 125/74 at the dentist today, that makes me happy. The top number is higher than I'd like, but.

Anyway. Paul is coming home on Saturday, that's nice. Tomorrow, Mali and Josh and Lydia and baby Ophelia are coming over in the morning because their apartment is being worked on. Mali woke up this morning with plaster and dust raining on her and the baby, and she wasn't too thrilled about it. They could have at least told her in advance.

So excuse me for blabbing on and on about Mexico...there's a clip from Family Guy with two girls saying over and over again, "Mexico!", and it's Evelyn and I, and Mirielle....we are going to be the happiest people there (seriously, the reviews, the things people complain about! .."I had to wait ten minutes for my coffee, and my butler didn't answer my texts right away and all the Bali beds were taken and some people take too many towels and my room was damp and still wasn't cleaned at three o'clock....")

3 comments:

Joybells said...

Mexico sounds amazing right about now! It's not as cold here but the soporific grey feels never-ending... someday the sun will pop out again and we will all wake up and go back to being normal people! I can't wait! 😂

Marilyn said...

Hi Della! I’m sure you are looking forward to your trip to Mexico! Whoop!!There are people who will just complain about anything. Too spoiled in life I think. It will be lovely to feel that warm sun on your skin 🌞🌞🌞 I hope your trip to the skin doctor soon is good. I’ve also had many of those little pre cancerous things removed over the years. Last time I had a complete body scan. They brought me a barely there paper gown to put on so I shook it to open it and ooooooops! It ripped almost in half!! 😳 So I had an opening front and back. 🙄 Then I took the flimsy plastic tie and pulled it to tie around my waist to try and gather it all together and ooooops again! It ripped in 2! 🤣🤣🤣🤣 I’m telling you not much was covered when the doctor came in......a young woman doctor thank goodness. We had a good laugh!! I hope the girls have fun at their party with all those munchies!! Keep warm.......

Marilyn from Canada

16 blessings'mom said...

Joy, the gray, I hate the gray...well, sometimes I love it, if feels cozy, but it gets old. The sun was shining on the snow today and it was beautiful. 50 degrees, too.

Marilyn, yes, the sunshine on my skin, can't wait. I am laughing my head off about your paper gown. Who in their right mind thought a paper gown was a good idea? Oh dear.