summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, September 19, 2023

we Monday-ed around...

 The day started with a coffee, after a quick kitchen cleanup.  Then, the pool...home, ahh...but not for long!  Miss Charlotte Claire had forgotten her lunch.  Now, in days long past, if one forgot one's lunch, one ate a school lunch and we paid it back.  Or one shared with a friend or sibling.  Mom didn't pack all those younger children into the 15 passenger van at the drop of a hat.  (Once when a child at school was throwing up and had to be picked up RIGHT NOW, I had to get all those younger children buckled in to that big van, and lo and behold, they were playing house, and two of the little boys had sundresses on, because they were being their sisters...I HAD to change them first...)

Anyway.  I had been pondering a trip to Kohl's because I wanted to try on a bra. There was one for sale for $19.99, with 30%off, but I didn't want to order it without trying it on.  So when I saw the text at 11:15 that Char forgot her lunch, lunch is at 11:30, so out the door I went...may as well drive to Kohl's too, with Miss Camille.  (I found two, and splurged!)

Then to Target quick, where I found a pair of shorts in my size for $5.40, and a nice new top for $6.  Cam found some nice jean shorts.  We are leaving for Arizona on Thursday morning, so summery clothes:  nice.  I think it's like 99 degrees there.  We also bought some snacks for the plane (shelled pistachio nuts, low carb bars, trail mix for Cam).  

Then home....ahh, home.  Not for long though.  I had promised Miss Charlotte Claire that we would go to The Parade of Homes, and Monday was the only free night.  So right back out the door we went.  Char and Cam have always had an affinity for housing design and decorating, and have loved going in and checking out the new builds.  



Seven hundred thousand dollars for a house in a housing development?  phew.  But they sure are nice!  Our house is such a big rectangle of practicality, seeing the high ceilings (high heat bills! challenging to paint, or dust, or change the light bulbs!), and the huge walk in closets (that could be another bedroom!), the houses seem almost too ostentatious to me.  I'm also not sure I'm a fan of such open concepts.  The huge kitchen island being right in the living room?  And, all the built-ins:  what if you want to change things, they seem so permanent.  One house had floating stairs, just polished wood beams with no backs, um, I would slip and break my leg.  And since the ceilings are so high, the staircases are so high...we went up and down so many stairs yesterday!  There were features I envied, our lives would have been almost perfect if we had had one of those huge mud rooms with a dog bath!  Imagine not having all your coats and boots and winter gloves right in the entry of your kitchen/dining room!  

Ah well.  We know going to those things makes us hate and despise our horrid awful house.  :)

Dinner...ha, we had planned to put chicken in the crockpot in between outings, but Paul had put beef in there...beef tongue.    ugh.  I didn't even so much as approach that crock pot, much less taste it.  I was a nice mom, and brought the girls through the McDonald's drive through.  I had had some pizza which I shouldn't have had, but the houses had chefs in the kitchens making gourmet food...we didn't sample any at all until we got to the last house, and it was this fantastic pizza, with sausage and veggies...Camille didn't want hers, so yeah, I had two slices...they WERE very small, but sill.  I was not hungry for dinner.  We brought chicken nuggets home for the boys here, and Sonja went out to dinner for her friend's birthday.

Anyway.  This fine morning I might be going to the store quick with Kathryn and her little ones, then Grace is coming over with the kids.  I need to get up and vacuum, and start to think about packing.  I did make a list, but have to figure out what clothes I'm bringing.  I did buy a sun hat yesterday, as Aaron said he got a farmer's tan just being outside for five minutes the other day.  :). 

Well, have a really nice day!

5 comments:

Terri D said...

It sure is fun to go in those huge new homes but they aren't for me, even if I could afford it. I prefer cozy and would really be happy with just three rooms and a bathroom. I rarely go into the two guest rooms. Living room, kitchen, and bedroom. OH well. I'm old and don't have kids at home. Have a great trip to Arizona!!

16 blessings'mom said...

Terri, I also prefer cozy. The girls showed me a reel with a huge-o house with a basketball court, movie theater, ect., and I said I would never feel at home there, I'd be almost scared to live in something so big. :)

Marilyn said...

Hi Della!

Those big houses are lovely to look at only. I guess if you can afford one you can afford to hire someone to clean it! And those stairs are SO DANGEROUS!! One has to wonder who designed those 😳 I for sure would slip on the slippery wood and fly through the big gap a fall and break my neck!! Idiotic!!

Have a lovely trip to Phoenix you guys. I’m going on the 21st October. Going to Scottsdale to my daughters house. My girls are treating me to a week of fun for my 80th birthday in December. We will have so much fun. So will you and it is very hot right now. Enjoy! Enjoy!

I still can’t always respond, so if you don’t hear from me for a few days I’ll send an email so you know I’m still alive and kicking!

Have a lovely day 😊

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

16 blessings'mom said...

Marilyn, I think I'd rather have smaller house that's easier to manage, but hiring someone to clean sure sounds good ha.
Oh, how nice you're going to Arizona too, wouldn't that have been fun if we were there at the same time and could meet? Maybe some day? Yes, send that email, if you can't comment. (You are going to have so much fun with your girls!)

Marilyn said...

Hi Della!

You will be flying through the air now!!

Seems I can respond when this format pops up. I’m not technical at all, but sometimes it come through looking different. Anyway……………

Have a lovely time with your boys and enjoy the beautiful weather. It was only 2C here when I got up 🥶🥶

It would be fun if we were both there at the same time, wouldn’t it? 😊

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦