summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, June 18, 2024

doing what makes you happy...

 ...or being happy in what you do...the latter makes more sense, right?  People spend their entire lives trying to do what makes them happy.  But most of life is made up of mundane details, like going to the DMV, housework, filling out forms, waiting in waiting rooms, in store lines, in traffic.   

I went with Aaron to an appointment when I was in Phoenix, he said, "You must have spent so much of your life in waiting rooms...."  Very true.  

You can pile up treasures in heaven while muddling through, faithfulness in the small things brings great joy.  

This fine morning, I vacuumed the stairs, the living room, and the kitchen in the sticky humidity...windows open, birds singing, no AC.  It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't great either.  I figured I'd get it done in the morning, before it gets really hot.  Camille wants to start work on her vanity project, but other than that, I don't have plans for today.  

Tomorrow, the beach!  Margaret has the day off of work, so some of us are going up to Lake Ontario.  :)

Thursday, Charlotte Claire has a senior breakfast and graduation rehearsal, then I'm bringing her to open a bank account.  Friday is graduation, then we're going camping on Saturday.  

So, I do have to pack at some point.  Meal plans for the week?  ha.  I do have some chicken to marinate, maybe I'll grill in my bathing suit.  

Life is good but not without trials.  I would hope no one would read this and think, well that's easy for HER to say, her life is so easy!  Kids grow up, follow their own paths, and sometimes make bad decisions, or in any case, they make their own decisions.  My soul, seeing them suffer!  As a parent, you want your kids to always choose a Godly path, but sometimes they veer this way and that, and it doesn't go well.   You can feel helpless, but I've found that prayer works wonders, and that God sees the big picture, and we only see what we see.   Then we have to trust in Him, and pray to be at rest.

We also have friends and family who are going through different things, my sister has cancer, and my entire soul can churn with despair.  But I know that the hairs of our heads are numbered, and that God causes all things to work together for the good for those who love Him.  We also have a dear friend who isn't doing well, cancer is spreading...it hurts.  Our hearts hurt for their families. 

On a better note, my Suzanne Eleanor has set a wedding date, this fall there will be another wedding in the family, and I'll have a wonderful new son-in-law!  

Have a really good day, and be happy in what you do!!!
 

2 comments:

Terri D said...

God is in control. (my mantra)

Congrats to the newly engaged!!

Cindy said...

I vacuumed yesterday too! :)
Congratulations on the upcoming wedding! Always an exciting time.
I don't know how people live without the Lord. He's always with us, always making a way, and yes, makes all things work for our good.