summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, June 14, 2024

going backwards...

 ...the kids were little, they grew up, now there are grandchildren.  Six of them were here today, and we went in the pool.  The girls set up the pack and play on the pool deck, and the umbrella.  We put the little pool up there too, with just a little bit of water in it.  Evelyn was here, and Sonja, so with Margaret and Kathryn, and me, the kids only outnumbered us by one.  The boys, especially Wulf and Tennyson, like to spray me with the squirt guns.  I don't mind, I just spray them back.  It's too much fun.  

We started out the day by going to Target.  I had wanted to get a picture of Margaret, Kathryn, Evelyn, and Sonja together, but it didn't happen.  I had to get a package of chicken breast, some seltzers, some cleaning spray (I had 20% off, and Mrs. Meyer's smells so good!).  I went through line then realized I had a the package of chicken down below, oops, had to pay for it at the service desk.



Did anything exciting happen today?  Well, Jamie is repeating things now.  He pulled the steering wheel out of the Little Tikes car several times, I said "fix it", then put it back in, then he yanked it out and said, "Fix it!"  Rhys told Sonja to wear a pink dress to her birthday party, Achilles pushed my hand off his float in the pool (he was perched up there and I thought he was going to tumble in...he had a puddle jumper on, but still...he said, "you aren't my anchor."  I explained that I wanted to make sure he didn't fall in, but okay, I took my hand away.  He reached for it, and said, "Be my anchor."  :). Wulf told me I wasn't any fun, I told him that compared to other grandmothers, I actually am.  I have no idea if this is true, but he said it in the middle of a squirt gun war.  Tennyson offered me a piece of his bubble gum, which I kindly declined.  Baby Blythe loves the doggies, they tolerate her, very patiently.  

I grilled some hot dogs in my bathing suit, I love grilling in my bathing suit.  

Dinner was taco salad, with all the good things.  Dessert:  crumbl cookies.  Margaret and Sonja stopped there on the way home from Target.  Of course they cut them all up so we could taste them all...the peanut butter was #1.  

Adrian came over after work, he's a chemical engineer now, and a manager, so it's interesting to talk to him about his job.  They all packed up and got those tired grandchildren all buckled in and headed to their homes to get ready for bed.   I cleaned up the kitchen, picked up some toys, wrapped some birthday presents for Rhys, and ahh, sat down to put my feet up.

There are good reasons to have the grandchildren over, namely that they are so extremely rewarding to be with, but also it keeps life in the house.  It keeps me busy, and it sure makes down time sweet, ha.  But they are very special.

Our pool party was fantastic last night.  The kids liked their prize pails.  

Cousins, Ophelia and Achilles
Cousins, Ruth and Rhys

Heatwave?  I know, some of you have these temps all the time in the summer.  But here we have humidity too.  We also don't have air conditioning.  :). Shh, maybe we should put one in the bedroom window...

Ah well...it's my favorite time of the year...when the sun doesn't set until it's almost bedtime, and the fireflies are flickering, there are flowers all over the deck, and my pool is clean and refreshing.  Slow down, time...Billie Jo put it well:  the merry-go-round just keeps picking up speed.  The days pass by so fast, I cannot even fathom.  

Have a really good evening, and a nice weekend...:)



4 comments:

Linda said...

Girl, when we lived up there, we had window ac's, but nothing like having central ac now...I cannot imagine going without central ac especially here in Florida. have a beautiful day, Della.

16 blessings'mom said...

Linda, I know up here is nothing compared to the heat you guys get. I would have to have AC down there. I asked my husband last night if we should consider getting a few of our windows units in for this next week...in the past, when we had some really hot summers, we would put one in the living room and one in the kitchen, and block off the hallway with a tension rod and a nice curtain, classy, I know. But it helped a lot...but our weather is normally tolerable to me.

Cindy said...

Temps pushing 100, that's warm for us. We usually only get about 3-5 days a year with temps that high. We don't have air conditioning either so I'm thankful for the milder temps. All those grandbabies are adorable. And all fun grandmas have water fights! We're heading out in a few weeks to spend time at Disneyland with the family. I can't wait to have everyone together again.

Terri D said...

Your photos and tales of adventures with those precious kiddos are always fun!! Squirt gun fights... it's been a long time since I was in one of those! So fun!! Happy weekend!