summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

we all have to go, there's no babysitter...

That is what I just told Sonja about our proposed outing to Target and the grocery store.

Some of the kids are still sleeping, so we shall see how they feel about it when they wake up.

Did I stay home yesterday? ha. It was a very beautiful day, sunny and brilliant but not too hot. I called my sister-in-law and asked her if she wanted to go to the beach. She packed up four of her kids, I brought six of mine, and off we went. They dug holes and filled them with water and swam and played while we relaxed and fed them pretzels and tried not to get too sandy. We ate near the playground in the shade, relaxed while they went on the slides and swings and collected acorns. The girls "adopted" a cute little boy and played with him and watched him on the playground. I wonder what his mother thought.

I felt better after that little outing.

Home for dinner. I made spaghetti, with hot sausage on the side. I ate my sauce over French-cut green beans instead of pasta, and had some sausage. We had stopped for ice cream in the village on the way home, so we weren't very hungry, but ice cream wasn't enough for dinner. Paul didn't eat with us because he had a board meeting at church, and Mirielle was on a run. Joseph had had a late lunch, so he didn't eat. We still managed to sit around and solve the world's problems for a while. I do love summer.

Today Joe is at college, the three nursing students are at school, Sam is at his friend's house, so it is just 8 of the kids, their cousin, and me. And I am thinking of taking them shopping. There is no one old enough to babysit, so we either all go or we all stay home. When I find out if they are game to go, we will get ready.

My weight has stayed pretty much the same this entire month. Well, I lost a bit at the beginning, gained a little back, and am now the same as I was at the beginning. I WAS going to work out yesterday, but didn't. My brain still feels mushy and I am unmotivated, but the desire to get into better shape is still dormant in there somewhere. It hasn't gone away, it is just taking a nap, along with my brain. I have been being careful what I eat, yet allowing myself some treats, like the ice cream yesterday. But I haven't just thrown caution to the wind and eaten what the heck ever I want. Thankfully. But I can see how that could happen in a stressful situation, and I feel such compassion for people who battle these things! It is not easy to keep your focus when you feel just so blah.

After my body heals a bit more, I will get back into the exercising and lifting and treadmilling. (I love verbing things that shouldn't be verbed, it drives Margaret crazy. And Mirielle.) And I know it will feel good. Maybe I will try to fit in just a small treadmill session later. A few months ago I wouldn't have believed this, but it actually sounds refreshing!

46 years old. I can't relate to that number. It isn't me. When I was in the hospital the other night, one of the nurses so kindly told me multiple times that I do not look "that old". The sad thing about being 46 is that the chance of getting pregnant when one is that old is quite low. So I am not counting on conceiving again, in fact right now it sounds overwhelming.....but hey, ya never know! (that's the slogan for the New York State lottery).

I shall finish my coffee, read the morning paper, and see what the kids want to do today. Wait, shouldn't someone clean this place up?

1 comment:

Martha said...

Someone should clean this place up but who? And why? Oh yeah, because the new little guy I'm going to
babysit is coming tomorrow...

My brain is mush too. Perhaps it is just the overwhelming fact that we are ever so much closer to the top of the hill.

The beach still sounds lovely. Emma went to Fair Haven yesterday, I have yet to make it there. I suppose it is still lovely in September, in fact I know it is.