summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, June 17, 2016

tomorrow we we can say that tomorrow we're going...!

That was the chant of the smallest child yesterday...when she wakes up this morning, she knows that tomorrow we are going to the cabin in the woods. We'll be leaving as if we are a small family, Paul driving the truck towing the boat, with Charlotte Claire as co-pilot, and the two dogs in the back seat...they are going to visit his brother for the week, because unfortunately, no pets are allowed at the camp.

I will be driving the old minivan, the one with no air conditioning, with Miss Camille as my companion. I am leaving the nicer van with A.C. for the kids to drive up on Sunday, after their youth conference is over, because there are more of them and it gets hot in the back of the old van.

So for one afternoon, we will be like a small family, except for the sheer volume of stuff we are dragging with us...

By Monday evening, the camp will be full to the rafters with the lot of us.

Today, I will do lots of last minute packing, maybe take Char for a hair cut, stop at the post office, fill the van with gas, get air in that one tire that seems to lose air.

Our pool is finally getting there, you know, when the pool gets clean and clear and you just want to jump in when you look at it...and we are leaving for vacation. Because of the cottonwood trees making it snow cotton, we can't leave the filter running unless someone is cleaning the filter basket every hour or so, or the motor strains, so wah.

In the midst of the hurrying and scurrying to get ready for camp, I am working on being conscious that these days are my life...and to sit and gather my wits, and enjoy the days, enjoy the time with Sam home.

Yesterday Evelyn and I did some big shopping, phew. We started at Target, to get Jonathan sneakers and jeans. You know how that goes, we got a few more things too.

Then Price Chopper...the girl at the register was astounded at how much we were buying...then we went to BJ's and bought more. Chicken and burgers and potatoes and veggies and fruits and muffins and nuts and popcorn and cheese and pepperoni and bacon and eggs and coffee and lots of half and half....

I drove Evelyn to school this morning for her tests, after doing lots of dishes and cleaning up the kitchen. The kids do help, but when so many people live in one house, the mess happens fast. Yesterday I washed Jon's clothes and packed them, and helped the little girls pack theirs. My stuff is mostly packed, and the other kids take care of their own stuff now. I have a stack of towels and sheets ready to go, and things like bandaids and medicines I hope we don't need.

Mali might be coming for a visit today with baby Lydia, Sam really wants to see her. I'm not sure what else is going on, but it will be a good day.

No comments: