summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Saturday, December 8, 2018

wants, needs, and gifts...

I don't know if any of my kids read my blog, so I can't exactly list all the things I got them for Christmas on here, now can I?

Every year, I want to get each and every one of my kids something that makes their jaws drop.

And obviously, that's not gonna happen.

Maybe their friends at school get Airpods and laptops and brand spankin' new iPhones. But these guys here, they do have each other, and we go on lots of trips, and we eat good meals. See how I'm consoling myself here? I know in my heart they don't need to be spoiled with expensive things to feel loved, but I sill would love to spoil them with expensive things.

Even though I KNOW that when you have less, you appreciate things more.

At this time in their lives, I could be out working, and we'd have money for extras. But I am so very very thankful that I CAN still be at home, to be here for them. I know you can't put a price on that care and attention that I work so hard to have for them. In that way, I spoil them, but they don't even realize it, for the most part.

Yesterday, Kathryn's fiance came here, and I did get up and clean up the house before Kathryn brought him back here from the airport...a fact which Lydia came out with as soon as he walked in the door. Yes, she did. "Gramma cleaned the house for Darius!" It was funny because our house is not spotless even after it's cleaned. But here's the thing: I got up and got busy, determined to vacuum the floors, you know, get the edges and the throw rugs, even though we sweep every day...but the vacuum cleaner was clogged. We do not have good luck with vacuum cleaners here at our house. This one was clogged up good. I had to take pieces apart, and when I finally dislodged the giant chunk of dusty hair, probably stopped up with a Q-tip or a broken pencil or a bobby pin, there was dust everywhere....I had more clean up than ever, I was hot and sweaty, and the minutes were ticking by...I turned the vacuum cleaner on, and there's still something stuck somewhere else, because this is just not cleaning up this mess. I had to wave my white flag and sweep.

Anyway, when Lydia took her nap yesterday, I went out all by my lonesome to get a few things from the store.

This fine morning, the house is still Saturday morning quiet. Paul and Jonathan are out hunting. The rest of the kids are sleeping. Wulf is coming over to spend the night, his mama and daddy are going away for their anniversary. Wulf's puppy dog, Bunny, is also coming to spend the night. :)

I am hoping to do something fun with my younger girls today. We have had young children here for a few weeks straight, and while that's a blessing in it's own way, it's also nice to focus on my own girls for a bit too.

We have had the nicest Christmas season here in New York state. The snow keeps coming, just small amounts to decorate the tree branches and keep things bright and fresh. The house has a whole different lighting when it's snowy outside.

Yesterday, Kathryn and Jonathan had a bake-off, they are Great British Baking Show nerds. One made peanut butter cookies, one made oatmeal chocolate chip, but accidentally put DOUBLE the butter in....so they are buttery and crispy, I only broke off the tiniest bit for a taste, oh heavenly yummers, it was hard to walk in from the store to that aroma, and the plethora of cookies on so many platters...I just wanted to throw in the diet towel and eat a stack.

For dinner, I made chicken wings, mostly Buffalo (hot sauce with butter), but some barbecue. I heated up some leftover rice, and we had a spaghetti squash. I really like spaghetti squash, mmm.

Darius and Kathryn went to Ben and Ashley's for dinner, Jon went somewhere with his friends, so it was only Paul and I and five of our daughters here after Mali picked Lydia up.

Can you believe that Christmas is in 17 days? SEVENTEEN DAYS. I had better get moving, ha. I have wrapped most of what I have bought, but I am not done shopping yet. It's hard to fit it in, I have small children here during the day, and it gets dark out early, and it's snowy sometimes...I'll write these things down on a card and wrap it up and give it to those who I haven't gotten any thing for yet.

There's also a wedding this coming Wednesday! I had better get my head in the game about that! I should get my recipes out and make sure I have everything for the cuppykcakes! I certainly should make them a day ahead of time, too, to make sure if anything goes wrong I have time to fix it. I don't know what we're wearing yet or anything...but it's going to be lovely. I am very happy for Mali and Josh. He's a gem, just one of those people you just like from the start. She said she just "knew" he was the one when she first met him.

Tomorrow we're having a birthday celebration for Abigail! She's my second oldest, turning...32. Wow. I'm 53, so I was 21 when she was born. I didn't know ANYTHING. What a blessing Abigail has been though. She's such a good girl. We're having the party at Ben and Ashley's house. I almost forgot that I have to remember to bring/make food for that too, glad I am sitting here writing and remembering things!

Every day is a gift. Today, I am going to be thankful. Today, things won't go my way. I will give and I will sacrifice, and no one will appreciate it, but I do my work for the Lord, He is the one who rewards. He sees my heart.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always enjoy reading, having wanted many children but o lay having one! But I think you must have been TWENTY-ONE when your second oldest. Was born!

16 blessings'mom said...

Ha, good catch. Thank you! I fixed it:) That'll teach me to not edit...

Cilla said...

That last paragraph.. thanks for writing that. I need to remember that too.

Carol said...

It seems as though your day never ends and I am with you in that shopping is not done!