summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, January 23, 2019

because this is my blog, my unpopular opinion is...abortion is wrong.

I am disgusted at the new abortion laws in New York state. Absolutely abhorrent, and to call it "choice", ugh. Pro life is a no-brainer, to me. You make the choice when you choose to dance, even Ma Ingalls said, "Those who dance must pay the fiddler." But these days, heaven forbid you are saddled with an "unplanned" pregnancy. See, when you light a match to a stick of dynamite, the dynamite explodes. Things happen when things happen. duh. So if you don't want it to happen, stay away from the dynamite.

I can't help relating to it on a personal level. If you've been reading this for a while, you know I've lost some babies. The first loss was our third child, when Emily and Abigail were small. I was 12 weeks along, and out of the blue, on a Friday evening while serving dinner, I started spotting then bleeding and cramping, and I'll spare the worse of it, but a tiny little baby was "born", a miniature, fully formed almost translucent infant. At the time, suffering physically, being terrified, and grief-stricken, I literally wailed my head off when I saw it. I only controlled myself because my mom was in the living room with the little girls...we went to the hospital for an emergency D&C for the placenta.

It was hard. It was sad. I can't unsee it, that baby of ours. I couldn't talk about it, who wants to hear it? A friend asked me a few days later why it was such a big deal, she had heard that miscarrying was just like having a heavy period. Okay, whatever. Life went on. I had Benjamin a year later, his due date was the exact date I lost that little one, a year later. And guess what? Benjamin was a TREASURE.

Now, you can imagine how horrified I am that women CHOOSE to actually and purposefully KILL their little babies, because....whatever, their reasons, I cannot, simply cannot fathom it.

I lost four more babies to miscarriage. The last one, I had already had a sonogram and that little heart beat, oh the joy! Then the loss. So. much. pain, the tears, the sadness. Again, who would do that on purpose? The helpless little baby...do these women think babies don't feel pain when they're killed?

And baby Robert...7 months along, and all of the sudden he had no heartbeat. Delivering him had to have been the absolute lowest point of my life. If I could have sold my own soul to have that floppy little sweetheart take a breath and open his eyes, I would have. It was sheer torture. I loved him with all of my heart, and no amount of wishing or snuggling could change anything. He was gone, and I was shattered.

Are these other women simply stronger than I am? Or are their hearts made of stone? Have they believed the lie that it's okay to do this because it's not convenient for them? And don't even tell me the sob stories about those who were raped...it's extremely uncommon, and I have actually known someone who decided to keep the baby, that baby has grown up to be one of life's greatest blessings.

How...how can they sleep at night? I know some younger women might have done this without fully comprehending their actions, and may have realized at some point and are sorry...but what kind of society are we who reassure these youngsters that it's OKAY to have an abortion? That it's actually their right, their choice.

But speak out against the behaviors that lead to these unwanted pregnancies, and whoa! You're prudish, you're old fashioned. And if you're a Christian too, get out, shut up.

Speaking out against abortion is not in vogue.

But here's a thought....approximately half the babies aborted are girls...what about THEIR choices?

And here's another thought: one in FOUR pregnancies in New York state ends in an abortion.

I honestly can't believe it's a real thing, to scoop out a baby because you don't want it. And now that it's legal in New York all the way until birth, as long as a doctor agrees, and now it doesn't have to even be a doctor, it's ambiguous who can perform the abortion, the baby can be killed at any stage of pregnancy. Gruesome doesn't even begin to describe it.

It's like a nightmare, something I cannot fathom. And here's what I think: Jesus is coming back soon. Evil is taking hold on the earth, and if you speak out against it,...you are a women hater....when it's absolutely the opposite.

So today, I am crying for all the babies, and observing with great sadness as New York slides further into moral decay.

16 comments:

BekLovesJeremy said...

Yes. Absolutely. Mom of six. Youngest has a rare genetic syndrome. Most wouldn't think his life viable. But he is a treasure. Also a mom who has had three miscarriages... Life is a gift!!!!!!

Michelle in FL said...

I absolutely agree with everything you said. :(

Melissa said...

I completely agree with you. Thank you for standing up for those babies whose voices are being silenced!!

Joni said...

Amen.

Just Me said...

https://youtu.be/8pxu6DEPQkw
This is an excellent short film about adoption and the value of a human life.

Lisa said...

YES! Agree completely and it is absolutely ghastly that these late term abortions are now "acceptable" and will become more and more common. We are continuously desensitizing ourselves to these horrific behaviors...how far will society go down this path? I cannot stand how everyone who disagrees is a "woman hater" or dismissed as having a screw loose.

Anonymous said...

It is your blog and you are absolutely entitled to say exactly what you want on it. And how eloquently you have done that.
As I don't live in the US I am unsure of the law change but it doesn't sound good. I do agree with what you've said. I've known miscarriage. And I am so sorry for your losses.

Simone

Susan said...

Completely agree. I was horrified when I learned what Governor Cuomo was proposing and could not believe this bill would ever pass. It hurts my heart to see what we have become.

Unknown said...

Absolutely agree on every level. Made a FB post about this being a new low for Cuomo and for NY. Not sure how the mothers sleep at night....also not sure how the PROVIDERS of the abortion sleep ever. It is totally disgusting.

Anonymous said...

I agree. And to top it off, it's even worse for someone who suffers with infertility, and will do anything to have a baby. Heart breaking.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely respect your opinion regarding abortions. But how can you talk like that about women who chose to have abortion. You do not know what their circumstances to make a decision like that. I am following your blog for a long time. This is the first time I felt you were very harsh (again I am not talking about whether abortion is right choice or not).

Cheryl said...

Very well written, and I can imagine it's one of God's greatest sorrows. He gives life! Thanks!!

terre said...

i actually shared you blog post onto my fb. i stand solidly (as i wrote) with your thoughts. i too have lost a baby and it was horrifying to go through. to this day i can remember every detail and that baby would be 35 years old now! as i said on fb, ' the saints above must be just shaking their heads at the idiocy of some of the people in this nation. its never okay to kill the innocent, never!'. hugs, terre

16 blessings'mom said...

The comment I am going to address is from anonymous. You are right, I don't know their circumstances. It is very harsh, but when you think of a small infant, helpless and innocent, being injected with saline and suctioned down the drain, that seems rather harsh too. It's just one of the things I cannot wrap my head around. I know there are women who have really tough realities, and I know that God is righteous and will weigh and measure perfectly, and it's not my place to personally judge them. I simply can't fathom abortion, and it's disgusting how mainstream and hip it is to support it in the name of "choice". I do love people, no matter how they choose to live their lives, (and if I find that I don't, I do work on it!). I just think the world we live in is messed up, if you don't agree with the mainstream you are the weirdo. Here in New York state, with this new law, it is problematic for those women who are abused, there was one woman who lost her baby because of being beaten. Under the new law, the baby is not protected anymore. It is also not required for the abortionist to provide help or care if the baby survives the abortion, it is legal to assist in its death. How can this possibly be okay? Until FULL TERM this is allowed by law!!!

Hugs to all the mamas who have lost babies. And to those who have had abortions and have sad and heavy hearts afterwards.

Mary Kate said...

Amen, amen, amen. Praying for NY, the United States, and our entire world. May God have mercy on all of us.

Carol said...

I also felt a huge stab in the gut when I heard of this law. I am not from NY but it seems that every state follows when dumb laws like this take place. I suffered a miscarriage as well and it is nothing I would ever want someone to go through.
My oldest daughter was unplanned but I never considered an abortion and I can't imagine my life without her. She and I share so many of the same characteristics and she is my mini me in most aspects.
Killing a baby should not be a choice! It should be murder! We don't allow assisted death in the elderly and we should not allow it for children that have no part of the decision. As Christians, we need to pray for our country and we need to take a stand that our beliefs are the only ones being completely disregarded!