summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, July 6, 2023

not really melting...

...I know, my Florida friends are saying, "pffft, of COURSE she's not melting, NewYork is not hot!"  Well.  Today, New York was hot.  It was in the low nineties, and humid.  The sun was shining, and shh, I love love loved it.  Our house is not air conditioned, and the way it's built, like a raised ranch, with the main living area upstairs and lots of bedrooms downstairs, the main living area gets pretty warm.  It was 86 in here today.  Now it's a comfortable 82.  

This makes no sense, but I do not like air conditioning.  It's too cold.  If I lived in a warmer climate, or even if it was like this all the time, then maybe.  But my opinion:  a.c. makes it hard for people to go outside, makes it seem too hot.  I like open windows, and fans.  There ARE nights though, when it gets oppressively hot and muggy when we drag the window unit out and put it in the window, then sleep all snuggled under the covers instead of melting with the fan blowing hot air over us.  

Anyway.  It's warm and I like it.  Molly visited yesterday with Lydia and Ophelia.

Lydia, and Molly with Ophelia...
Ophelia liked her fudge bar in the little pool...
The Lillies!
Mama Cat, she's a bit warm...

 Me with little Feef.  

We have a busy weekend coming up.  Tomorrow we need to get some groceries.  Tomorrow night the symphony is playing in a big park up on Lake Ontario.  We shall pick up pizza, and go enjoy being outside.  Saturday is a birthday party for Rhys and Ruth...Rhys turned two already, and Ruth turns two in August.  (they are cousins).  Sunday, who knows?  We might put a brisket in the smoker.

We had a nice dinner tonight, in the heat.  I didn't want to stand there and grill outside, so...I cut the chicken breast, five pounds of it, into strips, then put it in lime juice, and some ginger.  I mixed up some flour and cornstarch, added seasoned salt (chili lime), dredged the chicken in it, and browned it all up in two pans on the stove, in olive oil.  

Camille made rice, I browned up some sliced red and green peppers, and added a drained can of French cut green beans, with some butter.   Sonja made sauce that tastes just like the Chipotle Chicken Crisper sauce from Chilis, so dinner was mmm good.  I skipped the rice, but did have a bit of the sauce on my chicken and green beans.  

Ah well.  I do love summer....a nice storm is brewing right now, I hope it sufficiently waters the garden and the flowers!!!  

5 comments:

Terri D said...

I grew up in Ohio without AC in the house or the car. Here in Florida (for 36 years, now) I can't imagine not having AC. The dry heat isn't as bad as the humid heat and we are humid all summer. Great photos and your chicken always sounds so good!! xo

Kate said...

I, too, live in New York (Monroe County) and it was hot yesterday. I also very much dislike air conditioning - I hate being closed in and I agree, it makes us less tolerant of hot weather. We need the fresh air and sunshine - that's why I am grateful we don't have air conditioning either. We do have a blower rigged to bring up cool basement air to some rooms on the main floor when it gets this hot but mostly we just deal with it.

16 blessings'mom said...

Terri, I get that, Florida heat is brutal and constant, and the humidity, ugh. We were there last month, and walking across that Walmart parking lot was rather low-key torturous.
Kate, same, we have a whole-house fan that draws air from our basement, it does help cool it a little.

Michelle in FL said...

I’m down in the southwest/gulf coast area of Florida (Ft Myers) and no way could I live here without air conditioning lol. I don’t know how people lived here in the old days. It’s 7 months of 90+ degree heat and humidity (our heat index has been 105-110 degrees lately). The only break is when it rains. I know it does get pretty hot and humid up north sometimes too though, and that is tough with no a/c.

Linda said...

LOLOL. Now that we are back in the land of flip flops, I DO NOT WANT TO GO WITHOUT CENTRAL AC EVER AGAIN! LOL-I know of someone here whose house is 87*, and its 105* outside and refuses to turn on the ac. No thanks, my body cannot handle it. LOL-Wishinig you a beautiful Sunday my friend.