summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, July 19, 2023

what do YOU do on a summer Tuesday?

 Here's what I did:  

Morning coffee.  Laundry.  Puttering around, then the girls got up.  We sat around, they had their coffee and I had seconds.  Where should we go?  I voted Costco, they wanted three different places.  One Walmart, one Marshalls, one Target, and we all agreed on Aldi, and that the books needed to be dropped off at the library.  

Target:  the bathing suits were buy one get one free, they were happy about that.  Sonja found one t-shirt.  Then to Old Navy,  nothing good.  T.J. Maxx, Sonja found a dress:

She tried it on for me when we got home. Before we went in, she said, "I hope I find just the perfect thing!", and she did.  It was very reasonable.  

Next, I went in the thrift store while they went in a grocery store, they were hungry so got some sandwich stuff and a few donuts.  I thrifted and found two shirts for me, two little girls' adorable tops/dresses, a boogie board for the pool, a set of wood ABC beads with strings, a teething necklace (totally washable), all for $19.    

Aldi, for chips, strawberries, salad dressing, cheese, cream, lime juice, some hair ties, eggs...

Then home...ahh, home.  We had agreed to do a clean up, so Camille wiped down appliances, I vacuumed downstairs, they took out garbage and cleaned counters and put things away.  It goes pretty fast when helpers are around!  

And now, it's a summer Wednesday...because when the girls pile into the living room, I close my computer.  Because:  I know these days with the loud silly nonsense, fake fighting, and belting out Taylor Swift songs are numbered.  I know because Emily, Abigail, Benjamin, Mariel, Joseph, Aaron, Molly, Samuel, Margaret, Kathryn, Evelyn, Suzanne, and sort of Jonny- have all moved out.  They take part of my heart, and bruise up my soul, even though I raised them with the very intent of having them stand on their own two feet.  I gave everything in me to give them good lives.   Now there are these three girls left. Sonja will start her job in pediatrics soon, and there's talk she'll get an apartment with Evelyn, who lives on her own.  Charlotte Claire is a senior in high school this year, and wants to go to Europe for a year, probably Germany like Jonathan did.  Then Miss Camille, my youngest, my sweet girl, said yesterday while wandering the aisles of Target that she was definitely going to move out and not stay home forever.  Again, that's our job as parents, to create and foster independence, and to get these children to grow up into responsible adults who move away and contribute positively to society.

But it hurts.  I'm the small pasture left behind.  

We all know that it's not like they move out and disappear into thin air...for the most part.  I rarely see Suzanne, but that's atypical.  Our house is bursting with fun and craziness most weekends. 

So these days with these girls are precious to me.  

I need to get out the door in fifteen minutes to bring Miss Cam to PT, the start of a busy day.  The girls are leaving on Sunday to go to Norway, so they're busy packing and planning and getting ready...



8 comments:

MB said...

I absolutely love (love love) that dress. Yes, she found the one perfect thing! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm doing okay so far with the moving out - three of ours so far, one married - but probably because they are all still here in town. When they all come home it is really fun, it's been Sunday supper but I don't want to dictate when they can or can't come home.
Valerie

Terri D said...

I could sure use some of those extra hands to help me get some cleaning done. Heavy sigh. I know you are cherishing each day, Della, and it is so great that your house is full and loud and fun on weekends!! xo

Mari said...

On this sunny Tuesday we worked getting my Dads house ready to sell. My sister and I were painting, my husband and daughter were working on landscaping. Long day, but good!
I know what you mean about kids leaving, it is what we want for him but it sure is hard. Thankfully they come back!

16 blessings'mom said...

MB, that dress was only ten bucks! I think it suits her to a T, she's so lovely. Valerie, it's a busy life even when they grow up and move out, but so rich and fulfilling, right? Those Sunday suppers are a blast.
Terri, I know, what am I going to do when they all move out? I can't clean this house by myself...
Mari, I can picture you all doing that work. We've found that things like that can be fun with the right attitude, but sad too, since it was your dad's house. Hugs.

Marilyn said...

Hello Della!

What a pretty dress! It really suits her 😊

Yes, they all move away, but like you say, that’s what we raise them to do. Give them wings and roots. What will Char do in Germany for a year? That’s exciting for her!

I’m going for lunch today with my sister in law……..the sister I never had. We are such good friends and I love her dearly.

I hope you have a great day!

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Anonymous said...

Lovely dress.. she looks beautiful!
It’s hard when they leave. I still have my youngest three girls home but…the day is coming.
The oldest of the three just came back from Costa Rica where she was visiting her boyfriend and his family. They will be getting engaged soon and may live down there. Meanwhile we are in NY. ☹️
My next one is with YWAM in Columbia right now. She heads back to KY soon and we pick her up end of August. I can’t wait to have her home as it’s been since Sept. My baby is 22 and still says she plans to never leave. But, we do raise them to leave, with my oldest 4 I remember saying they become good friends then they have the nerve to marry and leave. Lol
Two of those 4 are out of state. West coast and down south… we do the best we can to stay in touch. Two other live close and I cherish it.
Have a wonderful Sunday. I hope your weather this week end is as gorgeous as it is on Long Island. The sun is shining, air dry, temps around 80 and no smoke. It’s been a while since I said that.

Judy

Karyn said...

How did you manage to have so many grown kids so close? We live in a rural area and I worry they'll have to move far away just to find work. Even the closest university is an hour and a half away. If they end up near each other, I don't mind moving to be near them but I have this sad picture of them being scattered around the country :(