summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, August 21, 2023

a Monday in the sunshine...

 This fine morning, I went for the nicest swim!  First I sat in the hot hot sun, then ahh, the pool.  I thought of all my water aerobic buddies up in NewYork, in the chilly indoor pool...but shh, I kind of missed them, because I was all by myself...then lady who hails from Yonkers arrived, then another lady stopped to talk to me, then another...it was quite hopping.


We went to visit Grandma, brought her a milkshake.  

We stopped at Wawa...
We brought Grandma outside to see the koi pond.
The grasshoppers down here are simply too large.  


Publix for dinner!  Already made hot fried chicken, one baking potato to share, and an Asian salad kit, some diet root beer, and a few cherries for dessert.

Grandma is doing okay, her short term memory isn't what it used to be.  She gave me a book to read, said it was a good book, told me the plot.  Five minutes later, she asked Paul to hand her the book, looked at it with a puzzled look, and said,"I don't know whether I've read this or not."  

The assisted living facility had moved her to a memory care hall, which is kept locked up. She's doing much better and will be moving up to the regular assisted living on Wednesday.  But for now, she's there, and the patients there are really sad.  One lady is blind, and doesn't remember where she is.  She yells, "Help me please, I don't know where am I, somebody please help me!"  Another lady walks up and down the hallway, all day long, having long conversations with herself.  One man watched me walk by and said, "Nah, she's too big for me.  Probably about two hundred pounds."  I tried to pretend I didn't hear him, but Paul heard him, and turned and looked at me...oh dear.

I do feel bad for these people.  The nurses and helpers are saints.  There is so much goodness and kindness.  It would take boatloads of patience, don't you think?

Anyway.  I'm hoping for another swim tomorrow before we spend the rest of the day with Grandma.  :)

4 comments:

Terri D said...

Oh my, the memory care units are so very sad. I had similar experiences when visiting my dear friend, Helen. One lady walked around and around talking to herself (or someone we couldn't see). One woman wanted her dad and keep asking where he dad is.So sad and God bless the attendants, sor sure. Publix has the best fried chicken!! Yum!

Kanadiangirl said...

It's no one's business how big or tall or short or small someone is. What matters is our heart! Man, that irks me so much. I know some 'bigger' people that are so kind and helpful and hard working, while their 'smaller' counterparts are lazy and mean. Della, I admire you for how loving, forgiving, candid, hard working, and hospitable you are. And I hope everyone, including your husband, sees that!

Kanadiangirl said...

Della, it is not the size ot height or looks of us that matter, but what is in our hearts. I love how candid, honest, hard working and hospitable you are. I wish that older gentleman would know it! And everyone else!

16 blessings'mom said...

Terri, it certainly is sad, and those carers in memory care are angels. And YES to Publix fried chicken...oh dear!
....Thank you...and I will agree, but that old man, senile or dementia, or just no boundaries anymore, couldn't help himself...apparently he takes his shirt off all the time, and tells the women there that they are BEE-YOU-TEE-FUL. (which is awful that they have to endure that day after day after day, it's a small group of seniors...locked in a hallway of rooms with a small common area...but there's no changing him now.). One thing: Paul has never been disrespectful to me because of my weight, he has been amazing in fact. Especially because he does value his own fitness so much. He's extremely good to me, and respectful. He does love me:)