summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, August 1, 2023

phew...summer day's are busy!

 This fine morning, no baby yet, Grant and Ruth are still here.  They woke up bright eyed and bushy tailed, ready for breakfast.  Yesterday was scrambled eggs and sausage, and toast with jam (guess what they ate first?)(yes, the toast).  Today was pancakes.  I used box mix, but added some brown sugar, an egg, and vanilla...then chocolate chips and sprinkles. 

Kathryn needed to run to Walmart, so she left baby Jamison here with the girls, and Achilles, (and Grant), and off we went with just Rhys and Ruth, the two two-year olds.  (Rhys turned 2 in June, Ruth turns two in a few days).  


Home...ah, home.  I bought grapes and cherries and a pizza dough, some salad stuff, and a play mat for Jamison, as well as a little gift for Grace.  

Lydia in the pool on Sunday...
Kathryn with Ruth, Rhys, Tenny in the back, Achilles, and Wulf with his eyes closed...


Ophelia wants to get on too!!! You can see Emily grilling in the background...we had burgers, hot dogs, hot sausages.
Auntie Emily with Jamie..Grant...Molly Rose
Happy birthday to Sam!  

Donuts!   All cut up so the kids pantry different ones.
Pepperidge Farms cakes...they come frozen, and Sam loves them.  Our kids started calling them "Heater Cakes" because the tops used to be more swirled to look like a heat duct?  I don't know...but they are and always will be Heater Cakes.
Grant made up his little bed in the living room Sunday night, but last night he set it up in Sonja's room.
Grace wanted a last photo of their family of four...the night before going to the hospital. 
The girls are home, and Ruth loves her Aunt Sonja!
Those curls!
Grant picked a huge zucchini from our garden, so I made it into healthy zucchini bread.  Well, I did add some honey, and some chocolate chips in Grant's corner ha.

Here's the recipe if you're interested:
(from Sweetashoney.com)(tweaked)
3 cups grated zucchini
4 1/2 cup almond flour
4 tablespoons coconut flour
I used 1/2 cup monk fruit sweetener, a mix of brown and white, then I added some honey...possibly a half cup?  It called for 1 and a half cup sweetener real sugar or fake)
6 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon (I also added pumpkin pie spice)
1/2 teaspoon ginger (I added more)
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
10 large eggs
1 cup melted butter
4 teaspoons vanilla
nuts if wanted, or chocolate chips

I whipped the eggs and melted butter, vanilla...then added all the dry ingredients that had been sifted together, then the zucchini.  I made 12 mini muffins, one loaf in a glass pan lined with parchment sprayed with olive oil spray, and one 8x8 pan lined with parchment also sprayed.  The muffins took less than 20 minutes, the square pan like 45, then the loaf an hour...I covered them with foil when they were looking brownish and weren't quite set.

I think it's really good, for being mostly healthy.  

Kathryn was here with the kids today, and is now gone home.  We're making pizza dinner, and having leftover wings from last night, which I made with some really good sauces.  

Tomorrow, Margaret is coming over with Wulf and Tennyson for a few days, as she has some important work to do, and works from home.  Grant and Ruth will probably still be here, so it will be quite fun around here.

I won't lie, I get tired.  It's busy and fun and silly and sweet and worth it, but the old gray mare ain't what she used to be.  I haven't been able to get to water aerobics in a while, so I made sure, thanks to my sweet girls here, to get into our pool today.  It's not exactly the same, but felt good.  (Last night was a rough night's sleep, a lot of aching hips and knees). 

The baby hasn't arrived yet, so say a prayer for Grace, for endurance and strength...childbirth is so hard!  She's been in the hospital since yesterday morning.  I'll spare the details because it's not my story to tell, but she did say this:  God has answered every prayer so far today.  That was yesterday, and I know He still hears and answers today.  I'm behaving myself and not texting the heck out of Sam, waiting for him to let me know how things are going, although I did ask him a few times.  :).  

Hopefully tomorrow's post will feature happy news of a brand new granddaughter.  Today, there are six boys and six girls, when she's born it'll be 7-6...then Molly's baby boy will tie it up again...then Margaret's will be the the tie-breaker,  she doesn't find out the gender until birth...I was going to make a joke that she doesn't find out until the child chooses it, but that's really not even funny.  

All right...Sonja is making a pizza, I need to go help make some other food too...off I go...


1 comment:

Cindy said...

You have so much going on! Such an exciting summer with all those new babies coming. My youngest had her first baby back in December and it was so hard to wait until they called us! But Grace is right, the Lord is with her, and He's with you too. Even in the waiting. :)