summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, November 16, 2023

39 days!

 We're thinking about decorating a bit around here, but haven't started yet.  Maybe it will spur me to start doing some Christmas shopping, I don't know.  We did pick five names for the kids at church, because buying toys for kids, well, that's fun!  

So these guys got beat up for buying vacuum cleaners for their wives.  I'm not feeling it.  I love vacuum cleaners.  The only thing I'd be beating him up for is if he paid too much, ha.  I bought the ninety-something dollar Shark from Walmart a few months ago, (never buy a vacuum cleaner so close to Black Friday, they're on sale everywhere now!)...and I love love love it.  It's not perfect, came with only one attachment, and it's so tippy, you have to hold on to the machine when you're using the hose part.  But, it's powerful and easy to empty and easy to unclog so far.  I still like the small Ionvac from Walmart too, it's less than $25, and I had to put a bit of duct tape on it to keep part of it from flopping open, but it works like a dream on bare floors, WAY faster than sweeping, and gets up all the dust and dog hair.  It's light and I just plug it right into an extension cord so I don't have to stop and replug it.  (For some reason that drives me nuts).

I have to vacuum each and every day here, with the pups and the kitties.  

There are pork chops marinating in lime juice, and I'm thinking to make some homemade applesauce and roasted potatoes/sweet potatoes, for tonight's dinner.  I don't prefer pork, but it's so much cheaper than beef, and we have chicken so often...I think it's how you prepare it, too.  When I was a kid, we had them with Shake n Bake, is that even a thing anymore?  My mother would use a seven cent coupon.  7 cents.  Can you imagine?  Of course, things were so much cheaper then, I remember the grocery store having Certs for twenty for a dollar.  Candy bars 13 for $1!  

Some things were more expensive then too, proportionally.  Bikes, made in the USA, watches...not as mass produced and cheap as they are now.  I mean, the bike I got in third grade, spiffy hot pink with sparkly paint and a white banana seat, $27.99.  I remember, because I saw it in the Kids' Town ad, and I actually got to get it!  It was a big deal.  It said Bobbie on the chain guard, and my brother Bobby sat on it and said it was his, because it was his name.  He wouldn't get off until I really yelled at him.  (nine years older, so he was like 17).  Now there are Black Friday bikes for not much more than that.

Here are some grandchildren pics: 

Wulf and Tennyson
Cousins, Maeve and Denzel...

And, a good one of Benjamin...I don't think he really bought all of that chocolate...did he?  hmm.  

Ah well, time to get moving.  No pool today, but there are things to do and places to go, although I'm staying home today.  :). ha.  We'll see.  Have a really good day.

3 comments:

Marilyn said...

Good morning Della!

You have been busy the last few days. I wasn’t able to comment 🤷‍♀️ Today I can!!

Do you watch THE CROWN? The final season starts tonight. That’s too bad about your washing machine and the burst pipe. Oh dear……….I absolutely hate it when something happens to the washer and dryer……

What a lovely picture of those 2 babies 🥰 They are both smiling. That’s lovely that you’re going to Norway! Lucky you! Is Cheryl going too?

It is -8C here this morning……. A tad chilly. It going to go up to 10 tomorrow though and stay there for a couple of days? How is Sonja loving her new car? I laughed at you taking your kids to get their license story. My granddaughter failed twice!! She was mortified as she never failed at anything ( according to her) and made us all swear we wouldn’t tell anyone 🤣🤣 Della that candle was ridiculous, wasn’t it?

Well you have a lovely day!

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Jan said...

I still use Shake and Bake for Pork. That's my husband's favorite way to eat pork chops. I occasionally use it for skinless, boneless chicken thighs too. It's good and easy!

16 blessings'mom said...

Marilyn, I have not watched The Crown, but maybe sometime I will. I know, the washer being down is challenging...I might just mosey on down to the laundromat. Norway, Emily and Sonja are going, not sure about Cheryl. She wants to but has a lot going on right now. I hope she can! I cannot believe how cold it's been there, that's freezing! It was 59 here today, I think maybe even warmer...I sat on the deck talking to my sister on the phone, getting sun on my face. Sonja does love the new car, just not the payment ha. Your granddaughter, bless her heart, probably had no idea how many people actually do fail once or twice before passing. Jan, I haven't noticed Shake and Bake in the store in many moons, I'll have to look for it!