summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Saturday, November 25, 2023

....it's beginning to look a lot like...

 


This countdown tree, from years and years ago...back when I used to make everything.  The kids love having it up.  They must have good memories of getting a turn to choose which ornament to hang on the little pushpin each day as Christmas neared.
I really just set things out, all willynilly,  will be tweaking and rearranging as we go along.

She's a little crooked, but she's a beauty.  I like a fatter, wilder tree, but Paul took Charlotte Claire and Camille, and they chose this one.
They insist on white lights, so I made sure they were at least the warm white lights...Tennyson helped too, he has candy canes to put on!

Yesterday:  still clean up to do from Thursday's big day, then Paul said he'd go get the tree, so that meant moving my chair from the Tree Corner, which mean moving lots of other things around.  Paul hauled up bin after bin of decorations, while I moved furniture (Jonathan helped me).  Kathryn and Darius and their kids, and Darius' brother Josh were coming over, and Margaret and her little ones too.  So I scurried to get some semblance of order, but ha, it was rather a poop-show, to put it nicely.  Bins and decorations and clutter...Kathryn doesn't even live here anymore, but she was packing up the empty containers and putting them back in the storage room.  Paul set up a Hotwheels track for the boys right in the middle of the room, and it was busy in here...but I LOVE it.  I got to rock Jamison to sleep, and there is nothing like sitting in my comfy chair holding a sleeping baby.  I got to hold little Miss Blythe Margaret, too.  There were leftovers being warmed up, and pie being eaten, it was just a good day.  When everyone packed up and left, I started puttering around with the decorations...but it was time to bring Camille to music practice...

Anyway...came home after eight, and those girls had big plans:  A Downton Abbey Christmas episdode, how could I possible be responsible and go to bed at a decent time?  1:30, and ahh. I was out like a light.  7:00 am, and wow, wide awake...but wait a minute, that was NOT enough sleep...but too bad, my body said, no way I'm going back to sleep.  I blame my body, but it was actually my MIND's fault.  I started THINKING about things...mostly coffee, ha. 


Just a single batch of chocolate chips cookies.  This recipe:

2 1/2 c flour, 1 teas baking soda, 1 tsp salt, stir up.  In separate bigger bowl, 1 stick (4 oz or 1/2 cup) softened butter, 1/2 c shortening, combine until smooth.  Add 1 cup brown sugar (I used some dark, some light), 1/2 c granulated sugar, mix in...add two room temp eggs, 1 tsp vanilla.  I added a bag of mini chocolate chips (12 oz), a heaping handful of the Christmas M&M's, and some on top too.  I baked them one sheet at a time in a 350 oven for 10 minutes, then left them on the parchment on the pan for a few minutes.  Jon says they're good, and the house smells heavenly.  I know they're good, cannot eat any, I'll just want another one.  Plus, I had some buttered caramel pecans last night while watching Downton...

Jonathan's Christmas gift came in it's regular package, not in a shipping box, and guess who ran out to get the package?  The good thing is he's excited about it.  dang.  I didn't think he was going to be home today. He went to Ben's now, with some cookies, to work on his four-wheeler.  It was nice having him here for the morning though.  Sonja left to hang out with some friends, Char and Cam are in vacay mode, Char reading a Tolkien book (Lord of the Rings Two Towers),  and Camille is playing her violin.  The dogs are snoring, the fake fireplace is making us warm and cozy, the Christmas lights are twinkling.  Jon made us bacon and eggs before he left, so it was a nice start to the day.  (ha, I was up for hours before I saw their teenaged happy faces!)

We have no idea what's for dinner, but heck, there's still turkey in there, and a whole apple pie.  :)


2 comments:

Linda said...

I am so impressed with folks and getting their Christmas stuff out and about, grin. Wishing you a beautiful day, Della.

Marilyn said...

Hi there Della!

Oh my………you have more energy than barrel of monkeys!! ๐Ÿ˜Š Your tree is lovely! How do you manage to keep it from getting dry and a mess of needles before Christmas? Soft white lights are so pretty. Little Tenny is so cute waiting to put on his candy canes. I remember the days when the kids decorated the tree ๐Ÿ™„ Oh my………those were the days. We would wait for them to go to bed to re-arrange as everything was on the lower 2 branches. So cute. Lucky you cuddling babies ๐Ÿ’•

I think turkey and pie sounds like a great supper! Enjoy!

Have a good day……..

Marilyn from Canada ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ