summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, November 2, 2023

just a little visit from old man winter...

 

November first, and where's the snow brush?  
Frost on the pumpkins, all right.  




The snow didn't stick around too long, but oh that lighting in the house when there's snow on the ground, that wintery glow...that Christmas feeling!  


But whoa!  We are still in autumn, still have Thanksgiving, it's not Christmas yet!

Water aerobics was really nice yesterday.  I am very thankful for it.  One of the ladies was off visiting/helping with her grandchildren in another state for a few weeks, they didn't have a pool...she was so stiff from not swimming all those days.  

Yesterday, Paul took care of the deer...one of Jon's Norwegian friends was here for a visit, and helped him.  I made some chicken pot pies, a pumpkin pie, and a lower sugar pumpkin pie (I used just a few tablespoons of honey for the whole pie, instead of fake sugar).  I also made a batch of chocolate chip cookies.  Dinner time; Jon's three friends who are visiting from Europe were here, so Paul cooked up some of the venison back straps for them, and they liked it a lot.  Takes me off the hook ha.  :)

This fine morning I'm going with my sister for an appointment, then we're going to Wegmans.  

Big plans:  I'm picking something up from Marketplace tomorrow, to try my new birthday sander on.  It's a Christmas present, but I'll make sure to take before and afters.  I'm meeting the lady at Costco, so I'll mosey in there too, they have parchment paper on sale, which is my guilty pleasure:  it seems SO wasteful, but I do reuse it.  I bake the cookies, save it, maybe bake cookies again, or reuse it under the pot pies (on a cookie sheet) so we don't have a smoking oven ...

It's forecast to be another busy weekend: grandkids coming over tomorrow and lots of company for dinner,  an autumn feast/party for the kids on Saturday, with treats and games and fun, company for dinner Sunday...I think I'll make lasagna again...and tomorrow, why not a few Costco chickens...?

Have a good day, everyone...and thank you for visiting me.:)

6 comments:

Marilyn said...

Hi Della!

That first snowfall is a bit of a shock isn’t it? We had some while I was away and it’s gone now…..thank goodness. Your house looks nice and cozy 🥰

You will be busy with all those dinners! Oh my 😳 I would have a panic attack I think. I could do it a few years ago, but it anymore. I guess I’m out of practice 🙄

Have a lovely visit with your sister 🥰

Marilyn from Canada

Cindy said...

Those snow pictures are beautiful! Sounds like you have a fun weekend coming up. Have a wonderful time!

Kanadiangirl said...

'It's forecast to be a busy weekend'...love that! You should be a writer, Della!

Mari said...

It snowed here too - crazy for this time of year!
I've never reused parchment paper, never even thought of that. Now I have to try it.

Anonymous said...

I'm definitely team parchment paper! I use it over and over, til it is brown. I can't stand the uncertainty without it- potatoes, cookies, rolls. It's necessary!!
Valerie

16 blessings'mom said...

Marilyn, you would not have a panic attack, because these are very easy going guests. We aren't setting the table with the fine china, we're putting a stack of bowls on the counter, a gallon of cider and some glasses, and a bunch of cans of seltzer. It's casual, and we like getting together (and eating good food). Sit down dinners are amazing and quite fun, but here they're not always easy anymore ha. Cindy, thank you! A writer, I AM a writer, ha, for no pay. I love writing. Mari, you reuse that parchment! If you bake cookies with it, save it to line a cookie sheet for baking a pie, or for roasting up veggies or pork chops. Obviously once you use it for something greasy, it goes, but oh dear I love using it for things like meatballs, saves so much time on the cleanup. Valerie, it's such a necessity, isn't it? I used to bake with more foil, I like the parchment so much better.