summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Sunday, September 6, 2026

promises, promises...and some challenging things...

You know, I am working on getting pictures back on the blog.  Well, every time I sit down and write, I think, oh yeah, I need to ask Margaret how to get photos on here again!  I have googled and asked AI, but have gotten lost in the process of trying.  So you'll just have to bear with the writing, and use your imagination!

This fine day, this wonderful day, I had no plans.  The girls were gone for most of the day, and Paul was busy installing a new water softener.  Our water was shut off for a while, so I decided to stay out of the kitchen, I mean, who wants to bake when there's no water?  

I washed some windows and cleaned up the deck.  I bagged up some clothes I never wore this summer, to donate.  My rule:  at the end of the season, if I haven't worn something, it goes.  But sometimes, if I really like it, I'll give it a second chance.  :). I have so many clothes, but never ever anything to wear.  harrumph.

I vacuumed the floors and sorted various things, put autumn-y covers on the counter stool cushions.  Then Sonja and Oscar came over with Kaia.  Oscar had school work to do, as did Char and Cam when they came home.  Kaia likes wandering around and seeing if she can spill my seltzer or escape to the deck.  Orange Guy jumped on her, begging for food I think, because she was near the closet...he gave her a few scratches, and I was so mad at him.  (they weren't bleeding, and he wasn't attacking, he was just trying to get her attention, not realizing she is just one year old and isn't going to open the closet and scoop out cat food).  

Paul was going to make some smash burgers, and didn't have any cheese slices, so I drove to town in his new truck and got some, along with some burger buns.  Paul browns them up on the Blackstone, mmm, but I skipped one this time, have to watch those carbs.  Because, after dinner we went to get ice cream!

Our regular place was closed, so we drove to the new Byrne Dairy, and wow were we disappointed!  The ice creams were TINY!  They looked like little baby cones!  It was good, and I actually think it was enough for me, but still.  We won't be doing that again.  We did have fun though, with our two girls still at home in the back seat.  I think both Paul and I know that these little outings are numbered, with the girls being almost 19, and 20.  

The weather is absolutely glorious!  It's 58 degrees tonight, with sunny skies and 75 degrees forecast for tomorrow.  Beautiful sleeping weather!  It would be a wonderful night for a fire in the propane fire pit on the deck tonight, but alas, the girls are doing school work...

So there is a challenging situation I've been wanting to write about, but as with all trials my grown children experience, I'm not always sure what's my story to tell.  But here it is.  Abigail (our second oldest) and Derek are having their first baby this month, which is a joy and blessing.   Baby girl has some issues though.  She has skeletal dysplasia, which means her bones are not growing properly.  The concern is that her ribs are very small, making it hard for the lungs to develop.  It isn't clear if she has enough lung growth to breath on her own or survive outside the womb.  She is coming to join us in this world in a few weeks, and I plan to be there in Delaware, when she's born.  

We're not sure what to expect, but the God of miracles does have us in His hands, and not a sparrow falls without Him knowing.  I am praying for that baby girl to be born and be able to breathe.  But I don't know the big picture, and God does.  I pray for clarity for Ab and Derek, that they have wisdom and peace about whatever decisions they have to make.  I pray for strength for us to be able to bear whatever comes with this birth.  

I'll be heading down to Delaware this coming weekend to spend time with Abigail, then the next weekend for her baby shower, then I'll stay there until the birth.  Keep them in your prayers, please.  

I'll end here for tonight...you all have a good night.  :)

19 comments:

Mari said...

I'm sorry you are still having issues with photos. There have been so many blogger problems lately. But then I read about your grandbaby and it puts things in perspective. Praying for baby girl and the rest of the family.

Kim Carberry said...

I hope you figure out how to get pictures back on your blog.
Donating clothes after not wearing them for one season is a great idea. I need to try that.
The burgers sound good but that is a shame the ice creams were so tiny!
Oh gosh! What a worry about Abigail and Derek's daughter. Sending love and hugs and thinking of you all.

Carol said...

This post stopped me in my tracks as I know the agony of a medical issue with a baby to be as we went through it with my daughter with the twins. I stopped and prayed for you, your daughter and son in law, and this precious little one. God knows and is good!

Anonymous said...

I come to read what you write, not necessarily to look at pictures, though those are nice, too. I will be praying for sweet baby girl, her parents, and you all as you watch and wait 🩷
Valerie

Anonymous said...

I worked in a children’s hospital where a baby was born with a very similar problem but hers was on the more severe side. I believe they did several surgeries overtime to expand her rib cage so her lungs could expand normally. HIPPA limits what I know and what I can share :-) . There is so much they can do these days for babies and I have said a prayer for your daughter, SIL and their sweet baby. They are blessed that CHOP and Nemours which are two wonderful children’s hospitals are nearby them. ❤️ Carrie

Anonymous said...

Dear Della 🥰 I’ve been thinking about Ab and Derek ever since I read your blog yesterday. Oh my goodness. I’m sure everyone is praying for a good outcome and that she is able to breathe at birth. It will be a comfort for her to have you there too. Nobody quite like mum 💕💕

I hope you are able to fix the picture thing too. One thing at a time.

Have a lovely day! 🥰

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Jan said...

I'm praying for them and for all of you!

Terri D said...

I will be praying for your coming grandbaby and your daughter & SIL... and for you, too. Do please keep us posted. I do miss your photos, so hope that gets figured out soon. Too many blogger problems lately! Take care! xo

16 blessings'mom said...

Thank you so much, Mari. :)

16 blessings'mom said...

Thank you Kim, so appreciate the kind thoughts.

16 blessings'mom said...

It's soul wrenching for sure, thank you for prayers and encouragement.

16 blessings'mom said...

Thank you Valerie!

16 blessings'mom said...

Carrie, they are an hour from Nemours, and the drs there have told them they are in the best place they could be for a baby with dwarfism. I have read about those surgeries to expand the ribcage, it's amazing what can be done these days. Thank you for prayers and hopeful words:)

16 blessings'mom said...

Thank you Marilyn, thank you for reading and for your prayers and that you take the time to comment, I so appreciate you:)

16 blessings'mom said...

Thank you!

16 blessings'mom said...

Terri, thank you! I will definitely keep you posted.

Maureen said...

Oh - I was reading along enjoying your musings and I guess I just didn't expect the last part! Please know of my prayers! It is so hard to watch our children navigate such challenging situations. I prayer for their wisdom and for the wisdom of the doctors and medical professionals that are guiding them. You also have my prayers - it is so hard to watch our children hurt.

Blods said...

Hi Della, hoping for the best possible outcome for Abigail and Derek's new baby daughter, Sending love and hugs Blods xxx

Far Side of Fifty said...

Prayers for that special baby girl, I am so glad you will be there for them.