summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, February 29, 2008

friday again!

Okay, the first comment I usually hear when people find out how many children we have is: "I bet the older ones help out." That came to mind this morning when the four elementary girls were getting ready for school. I do their hair nicely each day, so it looks like somebody loves them, which happens to be true. Of course the three younger ones need their morning attention, especially this week because they are sick. Jon has a cough and fever,
Charlotte is still sick, and Camille has a slight fever, cough, and stuffy nose. The younger ones aren't always all up in the morning, but today they were. And the older ones were all gone, living their lives at work, college, high school, middle school.

The last three days have been more stressful than usual because they are sick. I love them dearly, but yesterday and the day before, the phrase, "This day is from hell!" kept going through my head. I obviously don't agree with that, I know God is near, and He weighs and balances each trial. But I have been sorely tempted and surely pushed to my limits.

So, when I am asked, "How do you do it?" ......I really don't have an answer except, that it is by the grace of God that I manage. But that isn't right, I really don't manage. See, God isn't interested in whether I get the socks matched. No, it is an inner battle that is waged. He gives grace to the humble. I am in constant need of patience and goodness. Anyone can have alot of kids, but I personally couldn't get through day after day, week after week, without getting saved in this. Without getting victory over anger. Without getting free from sin, and it's power. Without getting free from anxiety.... One thing about that, anxiety: This year, Ben drives 14 miles south of here for class every day, Abigail about 26 miles north, and Emily 25-30 miles east, for work. And we live in the snow belt! I just have to pray, and fight to be at rest about this. I think this thing alone could drive me crazy without God's help.

Paul and I are going out to dinner tomorrow night with his boss and co-workers. We plan to leave Camille here with the others. What a first for me! She's not 4 months old yet. But she goes through this nightly fussiness, complete with intermittent screaming, just not restaurant behavior....Last night as I was holding her and eating dinner with my left hand, I assured Paul that I would use a fork for my salad on Saturday....I just hope I remember to eat slowly! I am trained to hurry, because someone is waiting for me to take her back.....

Today, Charlotte Claire is the biggest monkey wrench in the monkey wrench pile. She keeps stopping Camille's swing, to cover her up or wipe her nose. A nice little helper, but boy!! And she's emptying the video cabinet, and getting up to the table...Charlotte is feeling a little better, and don't tell anyone, but I kind of like her better when she's sick!

Suzanne is home today, sounding hoarse, probably getting what these guys have. She is being the dr., and feeding Jonathan medicine syringes full of water, and making him comfy. Now he is going to be the dr.....can I be the next patient? I'm tired of being the mom.....

No comments: