summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, February 8, 2008

a new day

It is morning, and the kids went off on the bus, 9 of them. Kathryn got up, dressed, fed and brushed, and couldn't find her shoes when the bus came. Emily the nurse has the day off, and Kathryn really wants to go to school, but I don't want Em woken up yet. Jon just woke up and has his camoflage sweatsuit on, and that fresh look that kids have in the morning, even when their pull-up smells like pee. Charlotte Claire is still in bed, as is Camille.

See, we stayed up too late last night. Ben, Emily,Mariel, Molly, and Aaron. And Abigail. We talked about the tradgedy of divorce (why do movie stars even bother to get married??), how I think it's unfair for one child to cook a personal snack, and have all the other kids smell it and not get any, and how it's okay to wear cover-up over pimples (their opinion), but not a whole ton of make-up, that's trashy. The girls are going to a Valentines party, all girl, and supposed to dress as famous couples. Mariel suggested Grace Kelly and P. of Monaco, and I told Molly to get her mustache ready....then Mariel suggested Heath Ledger (ghost in white sheet) and Michelle whatever....but she said her cousins wouldn't like it, they liked him so much they thought they could get him converted someday.

So yesterday I tried my darndest to make the house as peaceful as possible, and clean and uncluttered, to appease the teenagers who complain about the chaos. But guess what? They didn't help at all!! The thing is, they vent once in a while, and I feel terrible, because I want everyone to be happy, and guilt is my best friend. But over all, they are good kids. We eat dinner together every single night, and they all more or less help with clean up. They absolutely adore Charlotte Claire, but her high-pitched screams annoy the best of us....Jon is everyone's buddy. He is so enthusiastic about what he likes, it is hard not to appreciate him. Camille is a sweetheart, Aaron actually said we need to have at least one more.....

Nights like last night are fun because we can laugh and talk without interruption. My kids don't realize what beautiful people they are turning out to be. A lot of this is growing up in such a big family. They learn thoughtfulness, forgiveness, and mercy without even knowing it. Don't get me wrong, the older ones always get to do what they want, I don't make them stay home and help. They are quite busy with their youth meetings, snow-boarding, band weekends, ect. And when they're home, they aren't always helping. And lest I forget to give honor and praise where it is due: God has blessed us tremendously, more than can be written. I cannot stand on my own, I need His wisdom and guidance continuously....

No comments: