summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, December 6, 2012

just a random post...

Evelyn Joy, 13, has the flu. She woke up this morning after a very fitful sleep full of nightmares about not getting anything done that she was supposed to do. I knew she had a fever. She is on the couch under a blanket.

There were 8 kids out of 23 absent in Jon's class, overall 20% of the elementary students out sick. Camille's teacher was absent yesterday. So, I did what any concerned mom who loves a good excuse to spend the day with her kiddos would do - I let the three youngest ones stay home. They slept an extra hour and a half, which is always good. Since Evy is sick anyway, it's not like I am keeping them home to prevent them from catching it, it is just that they will fare better if they are well rested. Yah, I know, I just like them home.

Paul and I are working at the Dome tonight. Love love love that Syracuse Basketball team this year!!! I don't like being so busy and leaving here and working at the Dome, the walking up the Evil-ist hill, or serving the greasy concession food. But, I like being with my friends, fund-raising(we want to send our youth group on a trip to Israel), getting glimpses of the game, and...this sounds weird, but I love when the Star Spangled Banner is sung. A few weeks ago a young girl sang it, and she really nailed it, the crowd went wild. It is just fun.

Aaron and Mirielle and Abigail will be here, so the kids will be fine.

Suri is such a good dog. She is a total people pleaser. Aaron says all the time, "Bill. A friend to all." (the boys call her, "Bill".) I say, "Suri, the dog who gives back." She is so affectionate. And she is smart. She comes into the kitchen every single morning without fail, as soon as I take the peanutbutter out of the cupboard for my oatmeal. She has a thing for peanutbutter. She knows I will give her either a taste, or the rest of the jar if it is pretty empty. That happens quite frequently here. The jar makes her very happy. She gets it all out somehow, then chews on the yummy container. I just think it's funny how she is conditioned to come running out when she hears that cupboard. It's not like she comes when I make coffee, or other things. She doesn't follow my every move like Rosie did.

I still miss Rosie. I dreamed the other night, that she came back to life. She was so excited to meet Suri, and I felt horribly guilty. In every dream I have that she comes back, Paul always tells me to call the vet and find out what happened. Which is totally redundant...

Anyway. The lights are in the windows, the furniture is all moved around, and there is an empty corner for the tree. Jon is under my electric blanket playing on his ipod, a cast off from an older sibling. The princesses are having the time of their lives playing dress-up and house.

I am heading over to my friend Rachael's house to help plan our church New Year's Feast. I am thinking of a Chipotle-style Mexican food bar, cotton candy, ice cream sundae bar...our theme is , "Winter Carnival". Maybe karaoke, some improv comedy skits.

In the news....a Long Island man shot his girlfriend in the back with an automatic weapon because he thought the military might intervene in the, "Walking Dead", and she didn't. Sounds horrific. But. What a thing, to get so angry about a disagreement. It just encouraged me to really be faithful in the small, to say NO to those thoughts and spirits that want to divide and be offended. I think Satan just hates peace. "For our battle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual fores of wickedness in the heavenly places..." Ephesians 6.....

As a parent, it can be easy to be deceived into thinking that because the child needs guidance and boundaries, I am entitled to be so strong and right. I can be headstrong and impatient. Oh, God has much to teach me!!! I am very very thankful for this time of grace in my life!!! So thankful that God is still working in me!

I promised Jon we could wrap some presents, so off I go...he is asking like every 30 seconds, as if I have forgotten...

















No comments: