summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, April 12, 2013

rained out!

Yeah, the baseball game was rained out. First it was delayed, and we served food and beer to cold waiting fans...then the game was cancelled. We still didn't close the stand. We were there for almost five hours. I always get nervous when venturing into the unknown, working with people I don't know. I thought about that a bit, and decided I get nervous because I don't want to make a mistake or look stupid. I decided I don't care about that, so I wasn't nearly as nervous. The cash registers are easy to run, and I know how to pour beer. I find I really enjoy talking to the customers, and today Emily was at the register next to me, with Joseph one of our runners.

The food from our stand looks and smells good, but is the kind of food I don't care to eat. Fried chicken tenders, Buffalo chicken tenders, French fries, fries with gravy and cheese, a cowboy chicken sandwich served with barbecue sauce and onion rings, and fries...fried dough...oh, fried dough! I had eaten a good breakfast, at my usual breakfast time of 8:30. By the time noon rolled around and I didn't eat my lunch, my poor tummy started to protest. At one-ish I took a break and ate some almonds. But the stand was busy, so I hurried back without eating my apple. Anyway...we closed up around four. There was food back in the kitchen, lots of it. Tenders and fries and tenders and fries...I asked the manager if we could eat it. Now, believe me when I say it was not easy for me to ask that. I wanted to try to get a skinny person to ask, but I just went out of my comfort zone and asked. Well. No. We could NOT eat any. Policy is that it all gets thrown away to deter the cooks from making extra just so they can eat it. Dang. So we cleaned up and were counting the money...and the manager discovered that the fried dough hadn't been discarded yet, or "deleted", as Joe would say. So...I asked if we could just eat it. He hesitantly said we could. I was past caring what he or anyone else thought. I told him we wouldn't tell anyone. And I ate a piece of that fried dough. Oh it was good. It was lunch. Not a good lunch, but sometimes...you just gotta eat something.

When we got home, I took a quick trip to Walmart with Jonathan, Charlotte Claire, and Camille. We got pizza dough for tomorrow night's Family Night, which Emily had suggested we do. Five pizza doughs for $4.90...so much easier than making it..plus we are going to be gone all day at the Dome tomorrow for our last event there of the year, a lacrosse game. Anyway, we got taco seasoning and sour cream and chips for tonight's dinner of taco salad...and grapefruit and frozen yogurt and some beef jerky. I let the kids get chocolate milk, they were happy.

Busy busy....the dinner is mostly cleaned up, and I am tired out. I am in my comfy chair with my feet up....and loving it.

2 comments:

Chrissy in Chaos said...

I am really quite in awe of how hard you work Della, I only have 4 children, 3 who are under 7, and juggle them, 2 jobs and a husband who works for bands. It's super hard with flat few children. You are an inspiration!

Anonymous said...

what a shame they throw it out! Surely a homeless shelter could use it? Lara in NZ