summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, October 30, 2015

another wonderful morning....

I have always taken stock in this: Stop and smell the roses. Consider this scenario...: A mom in a hurry, dragging small children at a brisk pace across the parking lot, she has lots to do, and no time to do it. The children are ferried about, buckled and unbuckled from their car seats, as mom gets things done. Perhaps they are even lectured about how much of a hurry they are in, and how they need to stop fussing about things like socks sliding down in boots. Oh been there done that! But. I hope I took the time to marvel at cloud formations and skip over parking lot puddles and sing happy songs!

Life is too short to just hurry through it! Especially with small children! Yes, there are days filled with appointments and stops here and there. But seriously, each day is a gift. Not just the sunny Saturdays at the zoo. I have been reading about "Dispositional Mindfulness". I am really really good at letting things come in one ear and out the other, and also thinking about all the things I need to get done while hearing all about someone's day. Mom, are you even listening? (I always thought it wasn't fair, 16 kids and only two ears). But anyway.

Being aware of life, actually stopping and saying to myself, "This is now. This is my life." My life is not tomorrow, or later, or when I lose 50 pounds. It's now. I think of it as awareness living. To tune in to NOW, to actually taste that sip of coffee, and appreciate it. Yes, I sound like a new age hippie, but whatever.

There are trials in the midst of the roses, I know that. I have a friend who hasn't been feeling well lately, who still moves along and does everything for everyone. I have another friend who has battled cancer of the esophagus for eight years, being in remission for quite some time...who now has cancer in the lung. He has a wife and eight children, one of them is Jonathan's best friend. This is not all sunshine and roses, but he has such a thankful attitude, and knows with all of his heart that God causes all things to work together for his good. (keep him in your prayers, please!)

In any case, life is precious, and I intend to use each day as mindfully and thankfully as I can. Not necessarily to do or accomplish things that I want to do, but to be awake and aware of what God is working. Do you know that it is written, "do good to all men...."(Gal 6 v.10) Does this include the nasty cashier and the guy who just pulled out in front of me? Yep. Goodness is a whole 'nother thing, I certainly don't have enough of it, my supply runs out when I get start getting irritated, but that's when I turn to God...He always helps in time of need.

Today I am going to Walmart to get new tires on the old minivan, my favorite thing to do...spend lots of money on fun and exciting things, spend lots of time...in Walmart. But. It's all in the attitude, right?

1 comment:

FLmom7 said...

I love your attitude towards life. And I just got back from Walmart, fun. :)