summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, November 4, 2015

an old gramma....


We got to pick up my granddaughter, Lydia, and bring her to the zoo with us.


It doesn't make me feel old to be a gramma, especially yesterday...it was like old times, and I haven't forgotten how to rock a fussy baby and pay the zoo admission at the same time, or how to do a quick diaper change on the front seat of the van. Jonathan, Char, and Cam took turns pushing the stroller, and took turns holding Davian's hand. BTW, going to the zoo with a three year old who can read is fun, he enjoyed looking at all the placards and descriptions that accompany each exhibit, especially the maps that showed where in the world the species lives or lived. Hearing him exclaim, "Oh, that's native to Brazil!"...in his little voice...he's adorable.


And Lydia: she's so good! I am officially in love with her. :)


It was a lovely day to spend outside. My favorite part was lunch...we ate on a bench in the shade...the breeze blowing, the temperature just right, the kids extra hungry...hunger makes everything taste good, and they loved their peanut butter and jam sandwiches, and bologna sandwiches...then Davian said, "This is the best day ever!"

This morning, I don't have much time to sit here. We have been invited to my brother's house for breakfast! He lives down the road, in town. We are picking up Davian on the way. My brother Bob is the second oldest of the seven of us, he has ten kids all grown up, just a few still at home, and lots of grandchildren, I have lost count. He babysits for some of them, so there will be three there today, I think. (He is retired)

It's another beautiful day today, the sun shining on what's left of the autumn brilliance. Our pear tree is still beautiful.

My friend Martha wrote on her blog recently about feeling nostalgic. That's me, perpetually. Carrying Lydia at the zoo made me feel like a young mom again, and I missed those crazy days. Ha, I did feel like a member of The Club again, you know, the Yeah, I Have A Baby Club. When your youngest outgrows the stroller, you can smile knowingly at a mom still in the Baby Club, but she is IN the club, and she knows how it is, and you don't anymore. :) Anyhow.

Bye for now.

No comments: