summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, October 31, 2016

happy halloween!!!!!


I hope our Trick or Treating night is better than my dream last night! It was awful, in it we were driving to the store, and noticed kids walking down the road in costumes...then realized we had FORGOTTEN IT WAS HALLOWEEN! Then I woke up.

Camille has been after me to help her with her costume, but being the Queen of Procrastination, I haven't quite gotten to it yet. I worked at the Field Band/Marching Band competition concession stand yesterday...left the house at 9:45 in the morning, and got home at around nine at night. After taking the puppy out, and getting a large glass of water, I sat down and put my poor feet up, and Cam asked me to help with her costume. Um, tomorrow honey.

Thankfully, I have nice teenagers. Suzanne helped them carve their pumpkins. Jonathan cleaned and seasoned the pumpkin seeds and roasted them. They took good care of the puppy (no messes in the house!), and kept the place reasonably clean.

Anyway...this morning, Duke threw up on a nice rug...it is going through it's second trip through the washing machine, because I like that rug.

My life. ha.

But I have a nice cup of coffee, and it's quiet in here, finally, after taking the dogs out three times. And sweeping the floor. And cleaning up a mess from during the night.

I am excited about Halloween. It's going to be cold, but no rain! We'll have to bundle up, but it's nice to be outside walking around, and the kids like it so much. I try to make it as fun as I can for them, and it makes me happy to see them happy. Honestly, if I was doing what I like best, it would probably be climbing into bed with a book.

Also, keep my Samuel in your prayers. He hit his head pretty hard, has been on bed rest, and is heading to the medical clinic this morning. He'll probably kill me for writing about it on here, but hey, I am his mama, no matter that he's all big and in the Army.

Love is an interesting thing, isn't it? You can love your child with all of your heart, and love the next one also with all of your heart. Love isn't something that's hard to spread around, getting thin like the pie crust when it's rolled out too much. It's a good fight, too, to STAY in that pure love for your kids. Wouldn't it be a tragedy to let our own sin, our own demands and irritation, come into our hearts, so that we had things against our own kids?

Anyway. I am hoping and praying that Sam is okay, I think he will be. God has had His hand on Sam for this long, I am certain that come what may, it will be His will.

Here's what comforted me this morning: as I was cleaning up the mess from old Duke, I was feeling quite miserable. It was gross, I like that particular rug, the kitten was trying to get to it, Sunny thought it was a snack (sorry!!!), ect. So I was feeling really like crying. And complaining. Then maybe even a little bit mad. And I thought this thought: If I didn't have all these pets, my life would actually be almost easy right now. Then I thought about that. Easy. Is that the goal? It sounds wonderful. But the thing is, when I get miserable, when I get mad, isn't that sin? No matter what brings it up, it's there, and I can't get victory over what I don't see. So if my attitude is to get more oil in my lamp, get more patience in trials, then things will go well.

Margaret just texted that she is coming home from work in time to help the kids get ready, and that she will stop on the way home to get anything they might need for their costumes. Can you tell I'm happy?

2 comments:

Jana said...

Praying for Samuel! I'm hoping he feels better quickly. I have a question about your coffee. I just started a no carb, no sugar diet and I'm having trouble drinking black coffee. I'm missing my creamer! I think I've read where you say you put coconut oil in your coffee. Does this make it sweet? Would you mind letting me know what you use and how much? Thank you so much!

16 blessings'mom said...

I wouldn't like drinking black coffee, because I am more of a "would you like some coffee with your cream" kind of girl. I haven't given up my half and half. I haven't been blending mine with coconut oil lately, I just eat a spoonful of it in the morning for some energy. But you can definitely blend it into the coffee, I just never did it without adding cream too. A low carb diet is better with some good fat in it, helps keep you full, and gives you energy. I need to get more serious again, because when I'm lukewarm, I am more tortured with sugar cravings....when I cut it out firmly, I do much better than when I'm in my Taking Just A Bite mode...:)