summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, October 26, 2016

who wants a headache?

I'm giving mine away. But then I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy, and I don't have any enemies. Actually, it's calmed down to a dull roar, but yesterday was rough. I don't mean to be a big baby, but every once in a while I get a terrible migraine, and it's hard to function. I tried to wait a while before taking ibuprofen, because it's not good for you, but then the headache really sets in good. It's probably better to try to knock it down quickly, but I always try to see if it will maybe just go away, ha.

Anyway, yesterday it was a bad headache day. It got so bad I thought I was going to be sick. I finally took a little nap....two ibuprofen, then two more....I was profusely aware of how fortunate I was to be home, to be ABLE to lie down, heaven knows there have been days through the years that I survived by the sheer grace of God....

So I was thankful to lie my throbbing head on the pillow, under a mountain of covers, and when I woke up, just the dreary remnants remained...that drained feeling, but also the euphoria of that awful pain being gone.

It was a spaghetti night. At our house, when the weather turns chilly, and when Mama doesn't know what else to make, it's a spaghetti night. Frozen chunk of burger smells promising when it's browning on the stove with onion powder and black pepper...then I realized it was sausage, but oh well, it was still good.

With a million things to do, I decided to make three apple pies.
Lots of cold butter with the salt/flour mixture, tossed with ice water, then minimal handling...make for a nice flaky crust. I like to put a thin coating of half and half or whole milk on top, then sprinkle with sugar.

The house smelled heavenly with those pies baking...until some leaked onto the bottom of the oven. No problem, I'll just steam clean, add a cup of water, touch a button, lock the oven, and voila! Except for I hit the wrong button. The house smelled like burnt toast, we had to open the windows, and freeze the place down, because we aren't the kind of people who turn the heat on in October...I lit a few candles to make it seem warm, and hauled out a small space heater for the living room.

Anyway. It was good pie. Really really good pie. Now someone better eat the rest of it, because it is torturing me. And for the record, I did skip dinner, aside from tasting the sauce, so I could have pie. Also lunch. I had only my Ezekial toast all day, because of that awful headache.

So this fine morning I have to venture out bright and early to take the little girls for check-ups, dragging poor Jonathan along too because we have gymnastics class a few hours later, and don't want to drive all the way back here to get him. We'll have a few hours in between, perhaps we'll use our pizza/reading program coupons. And there's always Walmart. Kids like that store...but there was a nice heater in the Aldi ad, hmm, it would keep it cozy in here...

I'm sure we'll figure it out. Jon wants (NEEDS!) triple A batteries for his electric circuit board thing or one of his copters, I forgot last time I went, and he wants them badly enough that he'll endure shopping, to get them.

I've noticed that instead of working steadily to get out the door, I tend to take it easy, then hurry hurry. I like my quiet time in the morning, right now the dogs are finally snoring after going out three times, and eating their breakfast. Sunny trashed the living room no problem, she jumps up on the couch, and helps herself to tissues from the tissue box...then rips them up. Magazines, grocery ads, notebooks...she shreds. I just give her the empty paper towel rolls, she delights in chewing them up. She finds socks and sneaks things off the coffee table. She's like a two year old...on high speed.


She's a handful...but oh so sweet and cute. She'll be a fine dog, and as much as I get weary of the puppy stage, it's hilarious too, with the romping and jumping, she's like Tigger.

And I have to get moving...the kids are all sleeping...I don't like waking them up for showers and getting out the door, but time is ticking and we must leave...

Tomorrow morning, the same thing...leaving early...but for a good thing, picking Paul up from the airport!!! He has flown from Coimbatore Chennai,heading now to Mumbai....he'll be home in 26 hours...maybe 27. It's a long trip home from the south of India to New York.

But I can't wait to see him!!!































4 comments:

Kanadiangirl said...

My 23 yo daughter has suffered from migraines since grade 2. She takes htp and magnesium and it seems to help. My good friend from church also takes those for migraines. Might be good to try something like that since it's not bad for your body.

Michelle in FL said...

Glad your migraine finally left. Fellow migraine suffferer (is that even a word??) here...I feel your pain. I don't get them often, maybe every 3-4 months, but I have gone to the ER a few times for IV meds after the nausea and worse happens, not being able to keep down motrin or anything else. It is not fun.

Anyway, those apple pies look yummy! :)

16 blessings'mom said...

I take magnesium, but what is htp? Migraines are awful...going to the E.R. for one sounds horrendous. I bet you feel drained for a week after one of those, oh dear. I hope we all learn the lessons we are meant to learn during these things at least...there MUST be something to learn, ha. I think mercy on others, and thankfulness when we do feel well, and for me, a profound appreciation for whoever takes over when I have to leave and suffer in the quiet of my room.

Marilyn from Canada said...

It must be awful to get migraines. I rarely even get a headach, but my husband gets cluster headaches.......horrible!! I know a couple of women who found after menapouse their migraines went away, so you never know...........Cute little puppy πŸ’—πŸ’—and those pies look yummy. Have a wonderful day!

Marilyn from Canada