summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, October 24, 2011

my favorite day of the week....

not. Sometimes the cares of this world weigh heavily...though I know His yoke is easy and His burden is light...

Not just the things I need to take care of like laundry and keeping the kids dressed nice and neat (Jonathan has two pair of pants. He needs more)(shorts season is pretty much over in this part of the country). Not just the dr. appointments (Evelyn needs a booster shot soon or she won't even be able to get on the bus)...Not just the dinners and the snack calendars for school or the homework getting done or the bills I have to pay or checks I have to deposit...but the loving the kids part. The giving them enough attention part. There isn't enough of me to go around sometimes, and I feel so overwhelmed trying to meet all their needs. I wonder if I am missing something with one of them, if there are things I should be dealing with but am not seeing.

I suppose I need to just keep plugging on and praying, and talking to them and not get so stressed about it.

Sometimes life ain't all sunshine and roses, but I truly am thankful for that. If everyone always gave me the proper respect (ha, the respect I think I deserve, ha), and loved me and was kind and good to me...would that really be for my best? I don't think so. Of course it would be NICE, but...what I really need is to see my own lack of goodness...yes, I need trials and tribulations...there is so much to learn in life. There is always room for more humility.

In other words, I still have days when I am really tempted to feel sorry for myself...days when it all seems like too much....days when I don't like myself and don't know why anyone else likes me either. This does happen to coincide with my monthly cycle, but still. It IS real. (Mirielle says football isn't real. And that Rosie isn't real.) Anyway...it is good to recognize and admit during these times that it is ME that is the problem.

Yes, today is one of those days...the house is in it's Monday State. Couch monster, ect. I am going to make a nice short sweet chorelist for this afternoon, and get it all cleaned up in just a half hour. Ha, sounds easy, doesn't it? Believe me, it will be rather like pulling teeth...when they even hear me start to mention the list of chores, blah, they have tons of homework, MOM! And they are tired! And they have to work out, or run, or work on their project, or clean their room! Or, they just plain have a headache...

Not that I shall sit around all day, nah. We really need some groceries...we are almost out of toilet paper. I bought five bunches of bananas the other day, there is one left. I have laundry in the wash already, and more waiting. No, I shall not sit around today. Although I would like to crawl back in bed. I walked Rosie by the light of the moon this morning.

Kitty Kitten is much better. Poor little guy, he isn't eating much, but he is eating, and drinking, finally. The amazing thing is that even when we could tell he was in pain, he was still so nice, no growling or hissing at all. He just doesn't seem to have a mean bone in his little body. He trusts everyone so completely, even Rosie. Cats are supposed to be a Dime A Dozen, but I have never had a cat as nice as Kitty Kitten, and am so glad he didn't die on us...

Ah well, time to really start my Monday....

3 comments:

ccc said...

I am with you on those Mondays. I am on the computer right now although I should be doing laundry, cleaning the kitchen, finishing up school with a few kids, helping a daughter find a costume to wear to dance class today, and we too are almost out of toilet paper, but have enough bananas(at the moment)etc, etc, etc.

Martha said...

I had to read your other post to find out what happened to Mr. Kitty. Poor little guy. He must have been a sword swallower in his last life. I'm glad he's feeling better.

I am having one of those feel sorry for myself moments. (Truthfully, it has been stretching on and on and is really awful. I have so much to be thankful for and yet find myself so very overwhelmed. I try to keep the plates spinning, but then my mind starts spinning... Blah!

I am praying for strength and wisdom and direction on how to relieve some of the pressure that builds up so quickly. I think maybe running away to your house for a day would be good. :)

Anonymous said...

I guess being aware and constantly trying to better yourself and just the awareness that you may be missing out on some of the kids worries (simply because there is 1 of you only and so many of them) is half the battle. I always think you are doing a fantastic job.

I wish you strength for the day ;-)