summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

feeling a bit better....

Today I am weak and tired and have lost five pounds. Even the drink of water I had in the night made my stomach ache. I am not sure how many times I ran for the bathroom and threw up, but I feel a million times better now. I ate some orange sherbet an hour ago, and kept it down.

Charlotte Claire is home with me today, as she was sick the other night and says her tummy still hurts. I believe her.

Life goes on, with me or without me, but mostly with me no matter how I feel. Kap needs new socks and underwear, she says. Suzanne and Sonja's glasses are in and have to be picked up. Margaret needs an appointment to have her contact lenses fitted. Suri needs to go to the vet for a follow-up visit after that surgery. And so on...

It is no secret that the house falls apart when I am sick, and it did. Paul worked late last night, read to the girls and tucked them in, then went over to Emily's new house to help the Happy Homeowner with her furnace, which keeps shutting off. Samuel made and served dinner to the small ones, and thought that was enough for him to do. Suze did the dishwasher after school, and Joseph got up a second morning and got the little ones out the door to school for me. (I was horrified to realize that when Camille got off that bus yesterday afternoon that her hair had not been brushed before school! She actually went to school like that! Oh, Joseph!). Anyway, I ventured into the kitchen this morning, feeling light-headed and dizzy, got my sherbet, and left. Dang. Can you say MESS?

Mirielle so nicely got up and did the dishwasher and cleaned off the counters.

Which is nice, because when they were younger, if I dared to get sick, it would all be waiting for me when I got better.

I do think one learns many lessons from being sick. Mercy. Thankfulness for when one isn't sick. I felt compassion, in the midst of it, for those who have chronic illnesses, terminal sicknesses....who suffer so much, day in day out. It is no fun. So today as I feel better and get on with life, I am thankful...

3 comments:

Tereza said...

So glad you're feeling better...well at least better enough to be thinking of lessons learned:) And yes mothers cannot afford to get sick:)

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you are on the mend, don't overdo it though! Yes indeed, we take our health for granted and in light of this a messy kitchen is not the end of the world, it will be there still tomorrow. And they will have to wash up when there's no more clean pots :) Take it easy and look after yourself!

Cindy @ Marriedtothemilitary {dot} net said...

Oh Man! Ihope that you are back to feeling better now!