summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Sunday, February 17, 2013

trying not to feel too sorry for myself...

about my poor knees. My right knee is nothing but a big toothache these days. And the more read about this arthritis of the kneecap, the more I am tempted to be seriously bummed out. I think I am mourning my short-lived stint as an Active Woman. I know, I know, I am not dead and buried, and I can still walk. But it hurts. Yesterday I got my new sneakers, finally, so I tried them out. It was cold and sunny, so I set out down the road with Suri. Half mile down, half mile back. Up and down Evil Hill. Yeah, I know, I am not supposed to. But we did. And it was lovely. My knee hurt, but it was nothing compared to how it hurt later. So sore and stiff. Then today I took some girls shopping, and now I have my feet up, and my knee is throbbing. Dang. I do not like this one little bit. I do not want it to progress. I am not taking the Naproxen, I don't like the possible side effects. I am taking some supplements Paul got for me, but.

So I am battling that old self-pity. I wondered earlier what I would tell someone else if they were in my shoes and asking for advice. I would tell them to Suck It Up. I would tell them Things Could Be Worse. I would say to Hurry And Lose More Weight. I would say Count Your Blessings. I would say God Knows Exactly What You Need.

Uh huh, I do know the answers.

Yet, here I sit. Wah poor me.

Today I cleaned up the kitchen and....made four pumpkin pies. Extra cinnamon-y nutmeg-y ginger-y allspice-y, with buttery flakey crusts. The house smelled amazing, and the pie....I had two pieces for dinner. But that was my dinner.

Of course my lunch was a disaster. Three of my girls talked me into taking them out to lunch today. We went to Chili's. I had chipotle chicken...and fries, and corn on the cob. I tasted to corn, wasn't good enough to waste the calories on. The fries: delectable. I had like 7 or 8 of them. Ate all the chicken. But...we had endless chips and salsa first, and I ate like 30 chips. I totally blew today. Totally. Okay, it could have been worse...but it was bad.

I don't like days like this. Especially because I know I have to work really hard to get more weight off...why do I do this to myself.

Well, Downton Abbey is on now....so bye for now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I sure don't have the answers but I just wanted to say that I feel sorry for you. Knees, legs and feet are used so so much, it really makes life difficult when there is pain and so much of it. I have bad sciatica from disc issues in my back so I have an idea of what I'm talking about :(
I also think it's okay to sit and feel sorry for yourself for a little while, then pick yourself up and realise it could be worse and all that what you wrote. But you should be allowed to "mourn" the end of your healthy knees for a little bit.

Anonymous said...

HUGS!! And Chili's chips and salsa is so yummy :-)

Chrissy in Chaos said...

I work for a GP in the UK. - I know they do steroid injections for joint pain, maybe that would be an avenue that might help?

Deb said...

Take the Naprosyn, I'm speaking from experience here. Don't do the hills, take good care of the knee, keep on with the weight loss, and it WILL get better. I've struggled with lower back pain for almost 4 years now, and I had to go on the Naprosyn for a short period of time. I don't like taking things easier, but it cuts down on the inflammation and gives things a chance to heal. Hang in there!