summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

lack of sleep....

I hate when scientists discover things I already knew. Lack of sleep, for instance, has been proven to be really unhealthy. After a week of less than six hours a night, genes that should be regenerated and replenished shut down. The study I read suggests that weeks and months and years of not enough shut-eye cause heart problems, obesity, ect ect. Well. Isn't that something.

I tried to get enough sleep. I really did. Nap time was like the lottery. Every day I hoped I would win, even though the odds were stacked against me. The odds had names, like little newborn Samuel and his one year old sister Mali. And their two and a half year old brother Aaron. Getting them all safe and sound and quiet at the same time...and that is not even counting say...Emily who was 10, Abigail 8, Benjamin 6 (he was probably the Wild Card), Mirielle 5, and Joseph 4....and that is just one time period. It did go on and on, lasting from 1985 when sweet little Emily was born...sweet little Emily who decided at two years old that she did not sleep when it was light out....she could be generally counted on to stay in her bed with a huge stack of books though. Anyway, I tried to nap to make up for those little strings of naps that my nights consisted of. I tried. There were days when I hoped and prayed and crossed my fingers for that elusive little afternoon rest, days when I felt dizzy I was so tired. Days when my eyes would threaten to stay closed every time I blinked. Did I care about...exercise on those days? ha. Did I care about what I ate? double ha. Did I eat a stack of cookies with coffee on those afternoons when that baby just wouldn't fall asleep when the toddlers did? Or those days when, after getting everyone settled in and shh, me climbing into my soft comfy bed only to get one of those classic calls from school that one of the older kids barfed, and could I please come over and get them? Yes, in an hour or so, after I get dressed and wake all the little angels up and dress them and put them in their car seats...ugh. (I have heard my kids remark how Mom seemed to hate it when they got sick at school. duh.)

Anyway. I do ramble on, but my point is this: sleep is NOT over-rated. It is yummy, and it is healthy. And I am thankful that I generally get enough of it these days. I hardly ever take it for granted.

Anyway. Mirielle is still here this fine morning. She is looking at airline ticket prices for her upcoming visit to Gramma in Florida. She mentioned Punta Cana, and of course I had a few things to say about that! The beach, oh that lovely white sand beach with that aquamarine water. I want to go again! Jamaica...I look up prices every once in a while and think about how much fun Paul and I have when we get away together. Who says money can't buy happiness?

That's what I said about my new sneakers, too. Blissful comfort. Money=happiness. I am partially kidding, but....

I do tell my kids to work hard to get good jobs so they don't have to worry so much about money. There is nothing glorious about being poor. Yes, you do appreciate things more. I don't think people who are loaded with money are necessarily happier, but being able to get what you need and have some luxuries without worrying about it...that's what I would like for them. I do know that the flesh is never satisfied, and in some respects, the more you get the more you want. And the grass is always greener, of course. So there has to be a happy medium. Being thankful for what you have is the best, of course.

But...I would like new windows. And a small camper so we all don't have to sleep in tents when we go camping. And an invisible fence for Suri. And another lab puppy to run around with her. And and and. If I had all these things, would I really be happier? I think we are just programmed that way, to always want to improve things and make things better. It is not bad, but it can be if we aren't thankful for what we already have.

Today. This is the day that the Lord has made. Shall I wait until tomorrow to rejoice and be glad?

I did exercise yesterday, a wimpy workout that was less than 20 minutes long. I ate well, then...Mirielle and I made these cookies. Sort of Paleo, gluten-free....using almond flour, some coconut oil, coconut flakes, oats (not Paleo), 8 eggs...and...um...white chocolate chunks and Craisins. I am going to say they were the best cookies I ever had. But they weren't low calorie, and I ate five. I could have eaten ten, so I should lose a pound for restraining myself, but that's not how it works, I guess. There is still dough left in the fridge, but I shall wait until the house is full of kids before I bake any more. They were seriously that good.

But today is a new day, and I shall behave.

Okay, yesterday I picked up five kids from school and took the to the library. Their tummies were rumbling, and I had forgotten to bring them a snack. So I did what any nice mom would do...I took them to Burger King to redeem those Valentine cards I had bought, 6 for $1, to help the local children's hospital. Each card is good for a free item, either an order of fries, a coffee or soda, an ice cream cone, or an Icee. Since I bought five books of cards, I also got a coupon for a free Whopper. So. We went through the drive through and ordered two cones, two Icees, two fries...the free Whopper, and they had coffee and iced coffees on special for twenty five cents. So I ordered one of each, for Evelyn and I, who weren't having any fast food. My total was 54 cents with tax. It was too funny.

Today seems to be one of those days where I do not run out of things to say, but I shall say goodbye anyway, lest I bore anyone to tears.







1 comment:

Cindy @ Marriedtothemilitary {dot} net said...

I am LOL at the sleep. I am always jealous of people that get good sleep. I am also jealous of those that get to take naps. Ironic how that work's isn't it????? When we are kids we fight sleep. When we are adults we fight to get enough. AHHHH life is wasted on the young ;-)