summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, February 7, 2013

freezing cold, calm before the storm

More snow is coming. I just came in from a small jaunt down the road with Suri, and 10 degrees is COLD. brr. Back in with my slippers on, in my comfy chair. Sonja K. is home again, she felt better and then bad again, Jonathan has a tummy ache and has to keep running to the bathroom. Char is pale and says her tummy hurts...she didn't take one bite of that English Muffin with butter, sugar, and cinnamon I toasted for her. She ate a few spoons of oatmeal and headed back to her cuddle in her chair. Camille still looks wiped out, and did not want to go to school without Charlotte Claire and Jonathan.

So. Suri is cuddled up with Sonja on the couch now. We are all comfy and cozy...but I have to go to the store. With a big snow coming, and the weekend, we need fresh fruits and veggies. Some milk and yogurt and bananas. I guess we could get along without them but. I shall go and get back before my college kids leave at noon-ish. Which means I have to get moving. I don't like the cold!

We had the perfect winter's dinner last evening..pot roast with onions, roasted potatoes and carrots, and green beans.

Anyway, this morning I looked out the window over the sink as I puttered around clearing counters and fixing breakfasts...I looked out at the snow, sparkling in the cold sun, and I was happy. Just this serious, "I am happy." moment. No worries about my knees in ten years, or plagues of What If's, just happy. Now. Today. I think we tend to forget that we have no promises of tomorrow, and we waste our life away being weighed down by things that we do not need to be weighed down with. These days with the kids home sick have been so enjoyable...I don't enjoy seeing them suffer of course, but just being with them, being able to serve the older ones, the ones who don't need their mama anymore the way the little ones do...it was pleasant.

The kids just finished watching, "Rapunzel", and I just got off the phone with my mother-in-law. She keeps herself busy, bring sandwich platters and cupcakes to the staff of the nursing home where Grampa was. She played Bingo last night and won 14 bucks. She said one of the young ladies who managed his account at the bank started to cry when she went in to talk to her. Grampa was a handsome guy, he was so personable and funny. I think Gramma is feeling the loss, but is still at the busy, taking care of things, stage.

My two little princesses are off to their room to play Barbies, and I am off for a quick trip to the store.



2 comments:

Cindy @ Marriedtothemilitary {dot} net said...

I see you guys might be getting some massive snow! It is so weird to think that is other parts of the country (by me) we are warm and in the 60's and 70's. Right now though we are getting monsoon like rain. Crazy. I imagine this storm will be part of your insane snow tomorrow! Stay safe and warm :-)

mommeeof10 said...

I should lose 20 pound, to be near my ideal weight. I already lost 20+ pounds, by teleworking rather than going into the office> If there is junk food around my house, the kids find and eat it before I get more than a taste. ;)

Hubby is overweight. He is so tired, with his 3+ hour round trip commute to work, and the sleep apnea and a-fib, that he does not want to exercise. Maybe when it gets warmer out, I can talk him into going for walks with the kids and I on weekends. We used to go up the Shenandoah National park multiple times each summer for hikes and cook outs, but haven't recently. Maybe now that he works 2nd shift instead of 3rd, he will be awake more of the weekend.