summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, January 23, 2014

again with the dreaded phone call....

All is fine. But darn it, when that phone rings, and the daughter who is out and about in the bad weather says, "Mom?".....oh I hate it. She is fine. She went off the road on the same hill as her sister did several years back, and her brother just a few years ago. Scared the heck out of her and her two sisters who were passengers, but she is fine. We did learn a few things, mainly that I need to stick to my guns, I didn't think she should be driving tonight, yet off she went. Bad Mom Award.

My niece who has the twins also has a very nice husband. He towed her out. I owe him some homemade meatballs, and like a million bucks. If I had called TripleA, I would have had to be there, because this daughter doesn't have her own card. Perhaps I should just add her on for like $30 bucks...

Anyway, never a dull moment. We went for our eye exams, and ordered new glasses. I avoided the dreaded bifocals, just reading glasses again for me, but stronger, as my arms just aren't long enough anymore.

We went into Target, and I put several things in the cart then put them back, like boots for next year for the little girls. I know I'll kick myself next year, but how do you cut down on spending if you buy everything that's a good deal and smart and practical and pretty and appealing?:} I did let Suze get a jacket and some pants, Margaret got some boots and a sweater, Kathryn got a few things. I got two shirts for $3.88 each....everything we got was 70% off, but it still adds up.

Then on to the grocery store for oranges and bananas and milk and butter and a few other things.

Home, ahh home...then the dreaded phone call, then it took way too long for her to get home after she got towed out. I was worried, as she has no phone, ugh. She needs a phone if she is going to be driving.

Honestly though, except for majorly inconveniencing poor Thomas, who had to go out in the freezing cold to rescue her, I am glad it happened. Actions speak louder than words, out of context I know, but still. I can tell her 'til I'm blue in the face about how slippery the roads are, but when one slides out of control, one learns. One of her sisters told me they were terrified a car was going to hit them as they lost control, and that they would slide right down the embankment.

Funny thing: they called me from a house nearby, which happened to be where one of the lunch ladies from school lives. It's a good thing they went off near a house, being so cold out.

The dogs are snoring, and Mirielle is trying in vain to stay awake. It is her morning, now that she is nocturnal for work. She is covered with a blanket on the couch, and we have the space heater on, which hums and makes us all drowsy.

I am glad to be home, all comfy cozy, and ready for bed. I had a great day with the girls, and the little ones had fun with Emily and Abigail...they came home all loud and silly, trying to talk over each other about all the fun they had at Emily's house. They are all tucked into my bed tonight, Jon had a turn last night and they camped out on my floor.

And...goodnight!

No comments: