summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, January 16, 2014

things that make me smile.....

Emily Anne makes me smile. We went to a few thrift stores...she scored badminton rackets for activity club, and a North Face backpack for four bucks.

She did not, however, score this ingenious Cat Teaser, because the box was filled with greeting cards, which wasn't a MAJOR disappointment, but....we were intrigued that not only was this item actually invented, but that the price was marked down to $17.48 at Target, and someone paid that much for it. So only the box ended up at the thrift store, the cat must love it's Cat Teaser.

I bought a few books, including, "The Imitation Of Christ", by Thomas a'Kempis, for three cents. A few sweaters, a plastic French Horn, which Em did not believe I was really buying, and a little wooden doll cradle.

Also, a large orange handbag for Abigail, who loves the color orange.

It was refreshing and encouraging to spend some time with Emily. Life isn't always sunshine and roses, but she has the right attitude, and whoever trusts in Him will not be put to shame. She dwells not on the difficulties in life, but on how God can teach us through our trials. No one is exempt from hardship, but everyone gets to choose how they will take their situations. Each thought that comes into my head, I get to choose whether I agree with or not. It's easy to blame another person, or the idiot in front of me, or the rude cashier...but MY reaction is MY choice. Being with someone who chooses, day in, day out...to say NO to negative thoughts, to say NO to the sinful temptations, say NO to self-pity....is just plain nice.

After Kathryn and Jonathan get their work done, we are going on a field trip. Where? We haven't decided. But it is going to be fun! I am going to look up a few places and we will decide.

That is another thing that makes me smile: being spontaneous.

Also, the dogs. They are so funny! Duke is so affectionate, one can't dislike him. I am trying to teach them that when we tell them to Be Quiet, it means to actually stop barking when someone pulls in to the driveway. Duke operates on praise so wonderfully! If he stops barking for just a second, I pat him and praise him, he will just lie down and wag his tail. He is just so good. Suri is more exuberant, and takes a bit longer to obey. But they are just so good and sweet and nice.

Kitty also makes me smile. He spies me sitting here, and starts purring as he walks toward me, jumps up, makes himself at home, takes a bath, purring all the time....he is just a cuddler.

Matched socks, an empty sink, a full refrigerator, and a couch without a pile of clothes on it...these are a few of my favorite things.

Clean floors, the washer and dryer humming, a good book...

One of my very favorite things is planning outings or trips. Camping trips, vacations, or just a spur of the moment thing like what we end up doing today.

No comments: