summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, January 27, 2014

snow day!!!!

NO school today! Officially, not just one of my I Miss My Kids days. There is tea being brewed, and coffee being served...Jonathan is refilling my cup for me right now:) There are video games being played, and silly songs and stories and Evelyn is cleaning the princesses' room, which somehow got messy again even though the last time I cleaned it I vowed it never would.

My ear hurts today. I think I might take a trip to the drug store to get some decongestants and nasal spray, as per self-diagnosis on internet sites. I don't have a fever, or a stuffy nose, but my sinuses are backed up and one of my ears feels like I am underwater, it is just plain clogged up. I have tried all sorts of things to clear it. I am a bit dizzy, and tired, too, but that might have something to do with staying up way too late last night finishing a book. Yesterday afternoon, I had the beginnings of a migraine...lights flashing so much in one eye that I couldn't even function. I took two ibuprofen, drank a huge cup of water, and almost was sick to my stomach, the headache started....I took another ibuprofen, and went to bed. After a two hour nap, I felt a bit better, headache was headed off with the ibuprofen. But blah. I didn't work out, and don't feel like I can today. Too dizzy.

But. All this doesn't mean I am miserable. Far from it. I love having the kids home, and I love that Paul is coming home this week. He was gone for half of January, half of December, half of November, and lots of weeks on and off before that. I must admit, I like knowing he is coming home, and looking forward to it, but having him gone...I worry he will get used to being gone, used to living a different exciting life. I worry he will get home and we will all be ordinary and boring. Okay, I don't actually really worry all this, but it does cross my mind.

I cannot wait to see him again. When he comes home, the older kids act all shocked and disgusted when Paul and I hug each other and smile at each other and raise our eyebrows...they say that Mom and Dad are acting like teenagers again. But I think really like it that their parents still love each other, it gives them security, and it is most certainly a good example. The thing is, we definitely have an attraction to one another, but we are still such good friends because of the grace of God. I think people equate living a Godly life with rules and strictness and no fun, but it absolutely the opposite. Keeping one's thoughts pure, not having demands on others, saying NO to anxious thoughts....being free from the reign of sin...is freedom! Freedom to enjoy life without being bound to anger and worry and bitterness...and that good old Feeling Sorry For Myself spirit.

3 comments:

Martha said...

I drove by your house last night... kind of. :)
Maybe sometime when I go to visit my son in the "small city" (I think that's the one you're speaking of) I can find you.
Good thing it wasn't too snowy on our way home last night. Our kids had school, no delays, but I'm sure i heard the wind tell me to stay in bed this morning.

Susan said...

I am laughing that you would think you life is in any way boring (I look forward to every episode)!

Anonymous said...

Love snow days!!! We don't have those in Florida. They were the best when I was growing up! Thanks for blogging! I love how real your bog is....blessings!